cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Be careful where you put your hands!

Richooal
Consultant
I just got the email from Oculus foreshadowing the changes to the T.O.S. due in October.

It's a little bit concerning that their data collection will increase hugely with VR technology. Here's a clip from the email................

Oculus Features: We provide you with additional information about
certain Oculus features and the information we collect to power them.
For example, we explain how we collect information about your physical
features and dimensions, such as your estimated hand size when you
enable hand tracking

For you people with hand tracking (and whatever comes next) you will have to be careful where you put your hands and "what you do with them". It's all getting recorded. They'll be able to measure any body part you touch and how often you touch it. (paranoid much?)

I don't have an advertising/marketing mentality, but I'm sure lots of things I never thought about before will soon get recorded, stored and used. At the very least, Quest and Rift S users can expect to be bombarded with ads for gloves.

i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.
11 REPLIES 11

ShocksVR
Superstar
I guess good thing the Rift S doesn't support hand tracking ?
i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

HaselHoof
Adventurer

Richooal said:

I just got the email from Oculus foreshadowing the changes to the T.O.S. due in October.

For you people with hand tracking (and whatever comes next) you will have to be careful where you put your hands and "what you do with them". It's all getting recorded. They'll be able to measure any body part you touch and how often you touch it. (paranoid much?)

Oooooh hopefully they video too  ........ 4K ftw

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

ShocksVR said:

I guess good thing the Rift S doesn't support hand tracking ?

Exactly, but maybe Uncle Oculus can tell some Quest kids not to touch their dad's wallet and keep out of the cookie jar  😄  
Some dev dude wrote that Facebook can monitor everything you see using the hmd cameras too. I don't have such in CV1  o:) But I do in the Index  :#  

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

kojack
MVP
MVP

RuneSR2 said:
Some dev dude wrote that Facebook can monitor everything you see using the hmd cameras too. I don't have such in CV1  o:) But I do in the Index  :#  

CV1 can still see most of your room and all of you.
In fact with a CV1 they could do photogrammetry to make a mesh of your entire body, not just your hands like a quest/rift-s.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Wildt
Consultant

kojack said:

RuneSR2 said:

In fact with a CV1 they could do photogrammetry to make a mesh of your entire body, not just your hands like a quest/rift-s.

I believe they can see fuck all apart from the IR LEDs in a dark room.
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

kojack said:

RuneSR2 said:

I prefer to live in denial  😄 Don't have much to hide anyway  o:)

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

kojack
MVP
MVP

Wildt said:

kojack said:

RuneSR2 said:

I believe they can see fuck all apart from the IR LEDs in a dark room.

True, in a dark room they won't see much.
In a lit room it depends on your lighting. The sensors have visible spectrum filters. But if there's direct or indirect sunlight lighting the room, or you use incandescent bulbs, then there's enough IR for the cameras to see.
LED and fluorescent bulbs give off almost zero IR.

If you have a Leap Motion (very cool device), be aware that by default it sends low res images from its cameras to the developers, you have to turn that off in the settings. It's IR but has an IR spotlight so it can see even in pitch black rooms. (Short range spotlight, only illuminates maybe 1-2m)
(I think the images were like 32x32 pixels, so not very identifiable)

CV1 camera data extracted:
okmktam7iaby.jpg

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Morgrum
Expert Trustee

Richooal said:

It's a little bit concerning that their data collection will increase hugely with VR technology. Here's a clip from the email................

Oculus Features: We provide you with additional information about
certain Oculus features and the information we collect to power them.
For example, we explain how we collect information about your physical
features and dimensions, such as your estimated hand size when you
enable hand tracking

I don't have an advertising/marketing mentality, but I'm sure lots of things I never thought about before will soon get recorded, stored and used. At the very least, Quest and Rift S users can expect to be bombarded with ads for gloves.

Or Enhancment pills!!
m4u1elc81qoj.gif
WAAAGH!

Pixie40
Expert Trustee
So, "you should always wear cloths while your VR headset is plugged in and/or turned on". Good to know. Then again, I have a 360 Kinect as well as PSVR setup. I don't even consider leaving my bedroom or bathroom unless I have pants on 🙂 Also, don't have anything which could identify my interests beyond the entertainment center with 8 (soon to be 9) game consoles hooked up to the TV that is visible in my VR play space. Even my physical game library is stored in a movie cabinet that closes thus blocks the games from view.
Lo, a quest! I seek the threads of my future in the seeds of the past.