cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can someone from Oculus explain a detail from the EULA?

vonFelty
Honored Guest
http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/2bnjad/noticed_this_from_the_license_agreement_in_the/

You may use the headset to develop commercial software intended solely for use with the headset, provided that you may only distribute such software via distribution channels that have been approved by Oculus in writing.

What does that mean exactly?

If you release software that is specially made only for the rift you have to use the Oculus Rift store?

Also what about adult software titles? Is it possible to make software that's content won't be approved by the official store and sell it on your own website?
45 REPLIES 45

Stryker
Honored Guest
"vonFelty" wrote:
http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/2bnjad/noticed_this_from_the_license_agreement_in_the/

You may use the headset to develop commercial software intended solely for use with the headset, provided that you may only distribute such software via distribution channels that have been approved by Oculus in writing."

If you release software that is specially made only for the rift you have to use the Oculus Rift store?

Also what about adult software titles? Is it possible to make software that's content won't be approved by the official store and sell it on your own website?

Hmmmm... if they are trying to tell us that if I make any commercial software that wants to support the Rift, that I can only support the Rift and not other VR headsets, then I'm going to be pissed with Oculus and will be looking forward even more to my meeting in a couple months with Sony 😄

But seriously OVR, you better not be this low of a company to do that to the people that got you where you are in the first place. I hope this is cleared up shortly and this better not be the case or you guys are going to lose a lot of developers.
DK1: Shipped DK2: Shipped

vonFelty
Honored Guest
Well... I just noticed Palmer posted in the reddit thread saying he will get clarification so we will have to see.

Stryker
Honored Guest
"vonFelty" wrote:
Well... I just noticed Palmer posted in the reddit thread saying he will get clarification so we will have to see.

I find that interesting that even he doesn't know. That's kind of a big deal... at least to developers. It's so beyond me that Palmer spends all his time on Reddit and can't ever really post to his own company's forums. Hell, Cyber has posts approx. around 4800 and the owner of the company has a mere 78 or something, but you can always find him on Reddit. Anyways, whatever... but this part of the agreement sure as hell better not be what I think it might.

jrbm
Honored Guest
"Stryker" wrote:
"vonFelty" wrote:

I find that interesting that even he doesn't know. That's kind of a big deal... at least to developers

Ofcourse Palmer knows 😉 , as was mentioned above he just said on reddit that he will be putting together some expanded clarification on what this means shortly. He also said don't panic guys!!

vonFelty
Honored Guest
"Stryker" wrote:
"vonFelty" wrote:

I find that interesting that even he doesn't know. That's kind of a big deal... at least to developers

I might have worded that wrong. He stated he is putting together some clarification which doesn't say if he needs other people to clarify for him or not.

GodzillaMustDie
Honored Guest
WTF is this nonsense?? Yeah, I think someone better clarify. I can think of no faster way to chase away devs. Myself included.

Stryker
Honored Guest
"vonFelty" wrote:
"Stryker" wrote:
"vonFelty" wrote:

I might have worded that wrong. He stated he is putting together some clarification which doesn't say if he needs other people to clarify for him or not.

Well, I'm sure we'll know soon... no point speculating but the wording doesn't look good

Stryker
Honored Guest
"vonFelty" wrote:
"Stryker" wrote:
"vonFelty" wrote:

Gothca, I wrote my post before heading over and looking at it on Reddit. No worries bud 🙂

Gizmotweak
Explorer
"Stryker" wrote:
"vonFelty" wrote:

You may use the headset to develop commercial software intended solely for use with the headset, provided that you may only distribute such software via distribution channels that have been approved by Oculus in writing."

Hmmmm... if they are trying to tell us that if I make any commercial software that wants to support the Rift, that I can only support the Rift and not other VR headsets, then I'm going to be pissed with Oculus and will be looking forward even more to my meeting in a couple months with Sony 😄

But seriously OVR, you better not be this low of a company to do that to the people that got you where you are in the first place. I hope this is cleared up shortly and this better not be the case or you guys are going to lose a lot of developers.

You may use the headset to develop commercial software intended solely for use with the headset, provided that you may only distribute such software via distribution channels that have been approved by Oculus in writing.

I am reading this as if you make software that is only useable with the rift, you have to sell it through oculus approved distribution channels.

Does this mean we will have to pay those approved distribution channels a cut?
Will those approved channels have the right to sensor or even reject our software?
If we make it rift compatible but not exclusive (provide a different camera control system for non rift and rift users) does this still apply?
Is this the beginning of the rift facebook marketplace?

this...this could get ugly.
This space available for advertising.