cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facebook account required for new Oculus hmd users Oct 2020 - existing users can wait to Jan 2023

RuneSR2
Level 15
More here:

https://www.oculus.com/blog/a-single-way-to-log-into-oculus-and-unlock-social-features/

Today, we’re announcing some important updates to how people log into Oculus devices, while still keeping their VR profile. Starting in October 2020:

• Everyone using an Oculus device for the first time will need to log in with a Facebook account.

• If you’re an existing user and already have an Oculus account, you’ll have the option to log in with Facebook and merge your Oculus and Facebook accounts.

• If you’re an existing user and choose not to merge your accounts, you can continue using your Oculus account for two years.

After January 1, 2023, we will end support for Oculus accounts. If you choose not to merge your accounts at that time, you can continue using your device, but full functionality will require a Facebook account. We will take steps to allow you to keep using content you have purchased, though we expect some games and apps may no longer work. This could be because they include features that require a Facebook account or because a developer has chosen to no longer support the app or game you purchased. All future unreleased Oculus devices will require a Facebook account, even if you already have an Oculus account.

Valve Index & Oculus Rift CV1, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 8TB
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

1,250 REPLIES 1,250

Morgrum
Level 11
vmwghl08rnv7.gif
WAAAGH!

jab
Level 8
It's going to be great fun when facebook starts blasting "<your name here> is playing VR Fuck Dolls. Do you want to join?" notifications to friends and family..

Morgrum
Level 11

jab said:

It's going to be great fun when facebook starts blasting "<your name here> is playing VR Fuck Dolls. Do you want to join?" notifications to friends and family..

Hell yea but I was the doll last time!
6ed4bf6mfr3a.gif

WAAAGH!

Digikid1
Level 12

Morgrum said:

i2gv3eh2bwxa.gif

Hey hey hey!!!!  That is MY job to post that pic!  LOL!!!!!!!!!

pmwhimb0ddls.jpg

Morgrum
Level 11

Digikid1 said:

Morgrum said:

i2gv3eh2bwxa.gif

Hey hey hey!!!!  That is MY job to post that pic!  LOL!!!!!!!!!

pmwhimb0ddls.jpg

014bsqv6mb3x.gif
WAAAGH!

HiThere_
Level 9
I might have been unhappy if they had forced a Facebook account on the CV1 back in 2016...

But in 2020, there's simply no Oculus VR headset anywhere on my want-list : CV1-S has a single screen, worse blacks, no IPD slider, worse audio and inferior quality tracking that can't perform outside-in body tracking... but at least it comes with a compulsory facebook account requirement now. What the hell happened to the Oculus VR that was once 2016's top public VR Headset brand ?

ShocksVR
Level 9

HiThere_ said:

I might have been unhappy if they had forced a Facebook account on the CV1 back in 2016...

But in 2020, there's simply no Oculus VR headset anywhere on my want-list : CV1-S has a single screen, worse blacks, no IPD slider, worse audio and inferior quality tracking that can't perform outside-in body tracking... but at least it comes with a compulsory facebook account requirement now. What the hell happened to the Oculus VR that was once 2016's top public VR Headset brand ?

We don't know what headsets are planned down the road.  With the FB requirement for future Oculus headsets, that could bring even more substantial improvements and a greater subsidized savings for the consumer.
i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), Oculus Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

Anonymous
Not applicable

HiThere_ said:

I have a feeling those days are going to be over for quite a while.
We shall see.

Zenbane
Level 15

HiThere_ said:

Fair criticisms. I would answer your last question by saying that the original Oculus brand wasn't very good. It had some very misplaced elitism due to Palmer's antics, coupled with the copyright infringement issues upon ZeniMax. The "original Oculus" is not something that I would rank high on the Esteemed Corporate pedestal.

That aside, I can certainly see how users wanting the highest-end PCVR experience possible would be turned off by a combination of the Rift-S as a "refresh" and the forced FB Social Media account.

Although I still maintain that all of this was to be expected considering the low numbers PCVR has reported from 2016-2019. Even present day numbers are still vastly low considering PCVR has been available by multiple competitors for 6 years.

Neither Apple nor Google deem PCVR worthy of investment. That should tell us all something.

RedRizla
Level 15

ShocksVR said:

HiThere_ said:

We don't know what headsets are planned down the road.  With the FB requirement for future Oculus headsets, that could bring even more substantial improvements and a greater subsidized savings for the consumer.

Well, if that's case then why didn't they improve on CV1, instead of bringing out a Rift S that was basically a downgrade in a lot of ways. They could have added an Ipd adjuster and headphones for a start, but they chose not to make substantial improvements when producing the Rift S. 

The ones who wanted to make substantial improvements to Oculus CV1 ended up leaving Oculus, so that told me where Oculus was headed for now. I think Oculus just want to stick to making cheap VR, and I hate to say that given what Oculus was all about when it first started.