cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Four Sensors Work with One Weird Trick!

SuperTuck
Level 5
So four sensors work just fine. They provide the biggest play area and best occlusion resistance. However, there is a problem that occurs almost every time you put the HMD on. One or both hands move at like 4 frames per second and are basically unplayable. This is fixed almost 100% of the time by taking off the HMD and unplugging the HMD's USB at the PC, waiting two seconds, and replugging the USB in. Then putting the headset back on and both Touch controllers operate normally for the extent of my play session.... until I take off the HMD and need to put it back on. Then I have to do the same USB unplug process. This is sounding completely software related and needs a patch.

Can others with four sensors provide their experience with this method and problem, as well as logs to help Oculus fix this so we can fully enjoy our four sensor set ups? My logs will be provided this afternoon as I am not typing this at home.
12 REPLIES 12

kevink808
Level 9
I have four sensors, but the 4th is unplugged because I ran into this same problem.  However, I have perfect tracking right now with three cams, so I didn't want to mess with anything until official support is in place.  Plus, recalibration is a but of a pain in the ass...setting up the guardian walls again and so forth.
Rift-S, Quest 128GB, GO 64GB.

SuperTuck
Level 5
No recalibration needed if you want to try this (if you didn't move them after you unplugged your fourth sensor). I find the extra space and occlusion resistance is worth the small hassel but I have my PC facing backwards on the table so reaching the USB is as easy as my mouse. If you have the PC tucked under a desk with the USB plugged into the wall side it would be a pain.

Three cameras do work well, but I could occlude my hands in the back corner quite easily where there was no camera so I had to draw a smaller space with that area excluded. With four I don't worry about it.

kevink808
Level 9
Sure, I could occlude my controllers if I make an effort of it, but in practice I just haven't used and software titles that have required movement that would lead to that.  I'd need to stand against my walls and hide my controllers between me and the wall. Right now I get full floor to ceiling tracking in about a 8 x 8 ft play space (10 x 11 room).
Rift-S, Quest 128GB, GO 64GB.

OpticKing
Level 11
Funny thing, I used to use this trick to stop my ghosting/double after-image issue, back when I had my under-powered amd r9 270 powering the rift. Apparently giving a quick reboot the the hmd can fix a number of things.

benplace
Level 8
I have had this happen twice to me with 3 sensors.  The first time I unplugged all the sensors and no help, then rebooted and it was fine.  The second time I looked and one sensor said poor tracking, so I unplugged that exact sensor and plugged it back in and it fixed it.

FiZi
Level 2
I've run into this issue as well. I figured it was a bug but didn't know it was related to four sensors (I have four).

I've just been stop/starting the Oculus service to workaround the issue.

ScrottBox
Level 3
Does anyone here have these issues purely after waking their pc from sleep? As this is the only time I've run into issues. 

SuperTuck
Level 5
I have the issue as described with four sensors. Whenever I put the headset back in without unplugging the HMD it restarting the Home.

SuperTuck
Level 5
@cybereality Here are my logs for the aforementioned problem. I slipped on the HMD without unplugging the HMD USB cable and my second Touch controller operated at low FPS upon connection. I took the HMD off and then unplugged the HMD USB and reconnected it followed by putting the HMD back on. Then both Touch controllers worked flawlessly.

This is VERY common for four sensor setups. In fact, anyone with four sensors that I've talked to has this problem and this fixes the problem for those I've discussed it with - universally. Please let the engineers know. I hope they can see the problem in the logs.

if anyone else has this problem with four sensors and wants it fixed please upload your logs doing the same.