cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to trick the Oculus Store into thinking you're using Windows 10 ?

HiThere_
Superstar
Two years anniversary, and almost two years of Oculus Store WRONGLY not letting you download "Windows 10 exclusive" titles on a
Windows 7/8 PC, where over 90% of those titles run fine (because they
happen to not be exclusive to Windows 10 to begin with, as CORRECTLY
listed on EVERY other purchase platform, such as Steam)...

And I started
complaining about this ~2 years ago : The Oculus Store team moves for
nobody, not even when it's the developer asking/begging to have that
incorrect and harmful OS requirement removed from his very own title (as some
developers have answered me, when I contacted them about fixing their own Oculus Store OS
requirement, which as it turns out they are not allowed to go fix by
themselves).

So at this point there's only one solution I can
think of that WOULD instantly fix this nonsense : Do you know of a software, that
will trick the Oculus Store into thinking I'm using Windows 10 ?

PS : Forget about answering "Windows 10", you know a dozen other Smart Alecks said it before you.
27 REPLIES 27

Morgrum
Expert Trustee

nalex66 said:

Morgrum said:

lag0matic said:

Since you seem to struggle to grasp the concept that you're using and outdated, older operating system, with a vastly smaller user base among rift owners. I've put together this little infographic.  Notice the highlighted area, that I tried to make obvious, so that even you can find it. 257q2217hizn.png

So what that chart is saying is that 89% of folks use intel CPU's?

No, he’s pointing out that 41.1% of users use “other” CPUs, so clearly Oculus is ignoring a huge contingent of Xeon Quad owners who are being shut out by the compatibility test.  ...something something mafia tactics. 

lol

modern family gif lsat GIF

That's so Mafia!
WAAAGH!

HiThere_
Superstar
Then I can only conclude Oculus VR made the right choice when they decided to alienate 5% of their user base, when they could have just as easily chosen to alienate none.

I mean imagine 5% of Oculus VR employees no getting paid... that would still make it fair, smart and smug for 95% of their workforce : Oculus VR should do that too, so 5% of their employees can taste a piece of the shit pie they are handing out to 5% of their customers.

lag0matic
Heroic Explorer
wct1gr6ou9gr.gif

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Cyril You haven't answered this question yet unless I've missed it - WHY are you still using a 9 year old OS with security holes like a sieve?

I can't for the life of me understand why ANYONE would continue to Windows 7 these days. There's no sense of this AT ALL. 😐

Percy1983
Superstar
So Oculus looks after customers by not letting them download software which the developer says doesn't support the OS of the user.

Steam lets you download if it will work or not...

Unfortunately a lot of people do need protection form themselves.

So why can't you just upgrade to windows 10, rather than getting mad at world because you haven't upgraded.
Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+ 256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w

falken76
Expert Consultant

Cyril said:

Then I can only conclude Oculus VR made the right choice when they decided to alienate 5% of their user base, when they could have just as easily chosen to alienate none.

I mean imagine 5% of Oculus VR employees no getting paid... that would still make it fair, smart and smug for 95% of their workforce : Oculus VR should do that too, so 5% of their employees can taste a piece of the shit pie they are handing out to 5% of their customers.

If 5% of their workforce wasn't getting paid there'd be a lawsuit going on.  This has nothing to do with your issue.  If you were somehow trying to make some connection to consumers.  I suppose the employees wouldn't stay where they were dissatisfied and they'd leave.  Not getting paid would certainly not be satisfying.

RattyUK
Trustee
Windows 10 Pro can be bought for less than £20 online...
Buy it, install it as dual boot, get the games you want in W10 and play on your W7 boot...

May have to copy some save games around if you actually used both, but no great problem in doing so.

Just a suggestion 🙂
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

HiThere_
Superstar

snowdog said:

@Cyril You haven't answered this question yet unless I've missed
it - WHY are you still using a 9 year old OS with security holes like a
sieve?

As far as security related reasons go : I feel more secure
with having my own up to date firewalls and anti-virus software on my
outdated Windows 7, then having the same up to date firewalls and
anti-virus software on an OS that has been designed from the ground up
to bypass them.

But I guess a dual-boot (or preferably two
separate computers) makes sense : I'll be sure to put Windows 10 on my
next gaming computer, but I won't be buying one until the next
generation of VR headsets comes out (because I'll be buying a next
generation motherboard/CPU for it).

There's your answer : Oculus
VR can turn Windows 10 into a CV2 requirement, if only because Microsoft
will never put DX12 on Windows 7, but also because I could choose to
buy another VR headset brand anyway, but don't change the CV1
requirements halfway through it's (short enough) lifespan.