cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use my own 3D-images?

NFol
Honored Guest

If I capture a right and a left image with an ordinary digital camera, how can I view them in 3D using my Oculus Quest 2? 

Which image format should I use?

How to load it into Quest 2? 

7 REPLIES 7

ohgrant
Superstar

Side by side or over under should work. JPG will do, you may find sView useful to create one file out of the 2 if you haven't do so already. To view them in 3D on the Quest, virtual desktop, Skybox and Bigscreen all had a way to invoke 3D last I checked them. good luck 

Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.

NFol
Honored Guest

Thank you for your answer.

It is not clear for me which format the resulting file must have.

And how to load it into the Quest?

Would you be so kind as to elaborate a little on that?

ohgrant
Superstar

Since posting that I've dug a little deeper to find it's not as cut and dry as it once was. I could have swore the original Quest had a built in player that would play both movies and still images with the ability to invoke 3D right from the main screen. That seems to be gone now. 

I've also tried Quest apps Skybox, Virtual Desktop, and Bigscreen without success since they only now support movie files. In fact I've found no way to view 3D images loaded on the Quest.

I can now only think of 2 ways, both using Virtual desktop and both requiring a PC.

First is simply using the PC version of virtual desktop with link cable. Simply launch from the desktop and turn on 3D in the VD control panel. Also if you Have VorpX, VorpX desktop will do the same. 

Second is wireless with the Oculus store version of VD with their PC desktop streamer. Once you have your image loaded on PC and connected via streamer, you point the controller downward, you will see a toolbar pop up that enables 3D.

Hopefully someone else will post an easier way, but looks like a missed opportunity to me. A fundamental function like simply viewing a 3D image should be as easy as slipping in an old viewmaster disk 

Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.

I don't have any 3D photos to test and I don't have this app but I believe Pigasus VR Media Player supports stereo image viewing, it may be worth checking out. Perhaps someone who has this or some other app can give a recommendation.

ohgrant
Superstar

Thanks, yeah that works 

Edit: All of the settings are in Pigasus to change aspect ratio and type of 3D but in different areas. I was able to view several different old 3D game captures. Yes for a native solution Pigasus will do nicely.

If you're wondering how to get the images to your Quest, I'd recommend putting it in dev mode, installing Sidequest and use their file manager. No need for a VR ready PC for Sidequest any old box will do.   

I've got a flatbed film scanner and somewhere there's a box of old Viewmaster discs, I'll see if I can find them. It could be a fun little project to convert them to 3D slide shows for the Quest.

ohgrant
Superstar

I'd like to see them myself, I have an old field sequential DVD that someone converted from viewmaster. A compilation of old TV shows that I enjoyed seeing in 3D from shows like Star Trek, Lost in Space.... Think I'm going to try to capture a few screens to see what it looks like in the Quest. Might not look so good coming from standard old TV format.