cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any hope to see support for Full Body Tracking or even wireless in the near future?

Little_Robot_Fa
Explorer
I got my Oculus Rift because it was the best deal at the moment. And because I was too late to the Kickstarter party for Oculus. By the time I heard about and was obsessed with the Oculus Rift, the Kickstarter was long over. And so it was a long, long wait ahead about reading articles about people having fun times in the development kit, doing things like playing recreated versions of Zelda 1 and ect.

When Vive was announced, I decided to wait for a Rift. But even after the Rift was released, I was really broke and had to wait. I put off upgrading my PC.

But after becoming obsessed with VRChat, I broke down and bought a gaming PC and Rift, even though I could barely afford it. And it was well worth it, though I had a few issues, the first day was the most amazing experience. And still amazing, even without the new wow factor of trying First Contact for the first time. (While lacking self expression that VRC does, First Contact is by far a much more impressive and polished product and a great introduction to the virtual world).

So compelling, in fact, I took apart my HP Pavillion Power I got on Black Friday for VR, and I worry I nearly broke it in the process trying to upgrade it. I still haven't gotten the internal wireless card to work again. And that I've bought upgrades for my computer.

I love VR so much and want even better performance that I'm now investing all the money I can afford right now into it.

I just went from upgrading from this PC, that I bought at Black Friday last year for VR.

To this PC.

All because better VR performance and experience matters that much to me.

And yet, the more I look as possible upgrade options, the more it seems like my only path is to actually get a Vive. Wider tracking area? Vive Lighthouses. Better resolution and field of view, with lessened screendoor? Vive Pro, Samsung Odyssey, or Pimax. Full body tracking? I could try to find a way to make a Kinect work with my Rift. Or, I could go the easy solution and just buy a Vive.

I already have a Rift and have bought several things from the Oculus Store, though.

I want all this stuff because I'm still absolutely obsessed with and addicted to VRChat. And I'm so jealous of people who get better framerates in worlds. People having 90 fps when I struggle to get 30. People dancing with full body tracking. People being able to turn around all the time without worrying about tangled cords because they're tethered. Being able to visit people's worlds and them look less blurry.

I'm really limited on terms of options with Oculus Rift, though. I've heard that the wireless adapter for the Rift is a pain. And that full body tracking with Kinect is not very reliable and difficult to set up.

I'd rather keep going on the Oculus path, what I was originally invested in since it was first announced and I was hearing all these amazing stories from people with developer kits. Please tell me there's some hope for some plans to officially implement more features and hardware support soon? Especially full body tracking. I want that so bad.

You have no idea how much I want to dance in VRChat.

Also, I really hope we don't have to wait any later than 2020 for an Oculus Rift Consumer Version 2. Especially if there isn't any new PC hardware as a stop-gap in the meantime. Oculus Go and Santa Cruz sound nice and all, but I really just want a better VRChat experience. Which neither of those will do. I'd appreciate if something came out next year, but after 2020 I'll really start to be getting impatient and considering a Vive even more if nothing comes out for Oculus.
Old VR PC: HP Pavillion Power,  Intel Core i5-7400, NVIDIA GTX 1060 3GB Graphics, 8 GB RAM
New VR PC: HP Omen 880-130,    Intel Core i7-8700K, GTX 1080TI, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD

What I use VR for:
VRChat! Also, Airtone, Beat Saber, OrbusVR, SkyrimVR and DolphinVR

Features I most want:
1. Full Body Tracking 2. Full finger tracking 3. Haptics 4. Wireless Tracking 5. Wider FOV 6. Improved Resolution/Less Screendoor
27 REPLIES 27

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
You are going to pay a high price just to dance in VR Chat. The body tracking is expensive unless it's Xbox Connect and even then you need an adaptor. Buy a Vive Pro if your heart is set on it. Nobody here knows what Oculus is going to do in the future, but Oculus connect is just around the corner so that might shed some light..

inovator
Consultant
I also love vr. I own oculus rift and go and Playstation vr. Vr is struggling to become mainstream which will happen over time. It's hard enough to get triple a games for such a tiny base of vr gamers, never mind full body suits for even a much smaller amount of gamers. Forget anything major like that for at least another 10 years or longer.

Little_Robot_Fa
Explorer

inovator said:

Forget anything major like that for at least another 10 years or longer.

So, what you're saying is that if I want full body tracking, I should just get a Vive?
Old VR PC: HP Pavillion Power,  Intel Core i5-7400, NVIDIA GTX 1060 3GB Graphics, 8 GB RAM
New VR PC: HP Omen 880-130,    Intel Core i7-8700K, GTX 1080TI, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD

What I use VR for:

Features I most want:
1. Full Body Tracking 2. Full finger tracking 3. Haptics 4. Wireless Tracking 5. Wider FOV 6. Improved Resolution/Less Screendoor

shadowfrogger
Heroic Explorer
I reakon wait for some better full body tracking that works on either the rift or vive. E. G

But do your research first and I think wait for the product to come out first. Don't pre-order anything as there is a high failure rate.

I would upgrade until you can get a steady 90fps while you wait.

I don't think you should get the vive pro as it's not good value for money. I think the cv2 might have eye and hopefully basic face tracking which would be great for chatting.

Visit my amateur homegrown indie game company website! http://www.gaming-disorder.com/

Tera_GX
Explorer
I use the Vive Trackers on my Oculus Rift. I do recommend it as a great enhancement of the VRChat experience. For VR, something better will always be "just around the corner", so there isn't really an ideal amount of time to wait. I left more information in this other fullbody topic: 
https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/comment/632236#Comment_632236

falken76
Expert Consultant
You spend money like a drunken teenage arab prince on your computer upgrades.  You paid too much for a prebuilt machine as an upgrade.  It's clear money is no object, so you would be paying a LOT of money to be able to dance in VR chat.  If you want to dance, I'd say the vive is your best bet.  Vive pro is a rip off at it's ridiculous price with barely better optics than the rift.  Then you have to buy the rest of the vive setup to even use it.  Those wireless trackers are $100 each, so you got at LEAST $400 in trackers to be able to dance like an old school kenner version of a star wars figure.  Then you need Tpcast for the wireless part.  I've read good and bad things about it.  I've had this thing for 2 years now, I've become accustom to avoiding the wire now, but I'd love a wireless option as well.  Those puck trackers by valve might actually work with the rift, I'm not sure, I'd check with them first, but you might be able to just buy them.  They're very pricey though.

And on a side note:  Your 1080ti doesn't provide 90 FPS in VR Chat?!  What kind of card do you need to get 90 FPS in vrchat?  Until recently, your 1080ti was the top of the line card out on the market.

Little_Robot_Fa
Explorer

falken76 said:

You paid too much for a prebuilt machine as an upgrade.

I know you tend to spend more for pre-builts. And definitely wasn't as good of a deal as my last pre-built. But after breaking my last PC through working on and never getting it to boot up even after replacing almost every single part. I've become a bit intimidated by the process. And wanted something that "just works". Plus, it's water cooled, and DIY watercooling is risky, complicated, and you need to know what you're doing. At least, I don't know how to water-cool.

I went to pcpartpicker, and it looks like I would have only saved around $200 by building it myself. As I put the various parts into the site to my best approximation, 500 GB SDD, RAM amount, ect. It came to $1730, and consider I paid $1900, that doesn't seem too bad.

Edit: Actually, scratch that, it's even more than that according to PC part picker.

That says $1882.39. So it would have been even less savings to build it myself. Unless I were to have done something like got a 1080 TI used for $500 used from people rushing to get an RTX. The price Amazon says now is more than I paid. I only paid $1900. 

Also, I might have thought that the parts would be overboard for what I need. But I asked on the VRChat Steam forums, and various VRChat discords, and was recommended high end parts like these. Especially CPU, since VRChat can be very single core heavy.

Believe me, money can definitely be an object for me. I'm not rich by any means. Just very dedicated to VR, and people told me not to skimp out on costs for VRChat.

I am willing to spend the exorbitant amounts of money on all of the upcoming VR bells and whistles if I must to get the experience I want. But I would prefer to be able to work with what I have and possibly save money. I definitely agree that the Vive Pro seems way too expensive.

I'm also super passionate for VR, though. The experiences I've had with VR have been live transforming. I'm more addicted to VRChat than I am to any MMORPG I've ever played, and I've put a few thousand hours in Final Fantasy XI, XIV, and Tera. So this isn't so much of a reflection of my finances, so much as my passion, and maybe even addiction.

Normally, all my extra income would be going to extra games, on Steam and Switch mostly. But I'm decided that, I'm going to end up spending all my free time in VRChat anyway, I might as well invest that money instead on what I actually want to play and enjoy.

falken76 said:

And on a side note:  Your 1080ti doesn't provide 90 FPS in VR Chat?!  What kind of card do you need to get 90 FPS in vrchat?  Until recently, your 1080ti was the top of the line card out on the market.

You're mistaken, that's what I've upgraded to in order to get better framerates in VRChat. I'm upgrading from my HP Pavillion Power with a GTX 1060 3 GB to this GTX 1080 HP Omen PC. It actually isn't here yet, it's still shipping, I wish it were here already. Supposed to be here before October or so, but I really don't want to wait that long. So much that I've actually been contacting HP and Amazon about it possibly getting here sooner. HP says they can't help me, it's all through Amazon and they have all the information related to it. Amazon says that they can't tell me anything because it hasn't arrived to them from HP yet, and if I want to know anything, I need to contact HP about it.

And so the wait continues, I wish it were here. ;_;

What I use VR for:

Features I most want:

Little_Robot_Fa
Explorer
O_O

What happened to my huge post? I put a lot of effort into that.

What I use VR for:

Features I most want:

zOooZe
Honored Guest
I know exactly how you feel. Seeing others having a great time with their full body and dancing. And as you said the only reliable option is just to get a vive. I were reserching all of this and as it seems oculus isnt going to make a tracker. I would have really loved to buy into the vive straight away. In my luck im going to sell my oculus to a friend and buy the htc vive and the vive trackers but i would have saved a lot of money if i just would have bought a vive in the first place. I would recomend others to just buy the vive since it has more accesories and a platform that supports older hardware just look at the htc vive pro its compatible with the old lighthouses and the old controllers and therefore i feel safer buying into it. Im going to make the switch im just sad to know that i could have had full body right now. I hope the switch will work out for you!