cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's HERE THE RIFT has Landed - My Oculus Story

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
I'm sure some folks will be rolling eyes at yet another topic from Shadowmask72, but I care not. This will hopefully be my last where I post all my thoughts and Vive comparisons (although I can't guarantee that depending on the outcome). 

It's here folks after delays with failed payments, ordered from the UK at 38 minutes after pre-orders went live and several support tickets. 

UPS decided they didn't want to deliver to my home address or they attempted to deliver at the wrong address so I had to trek about half a mile away to the local pick up shop (IN THE FRIGGIN RAIN).  Good job I checked the website tracking otherwise I'd be none the wiser about a fake attempted delivery. So, that's got my back up already.

Got the Rift home, Damn why does that box have to weigh 11 pounds? Luckily I took a rather glamorous bin liner with me to prevent it getting wet. Opened and hmmm, doesn't look like it's factory new. I see some finger marks on the box interior that certainly aren't mine. Perhaps customs had a peek. Other than that all parts and accessories seem to be in order and well sealed. That lovely new smell though is pretty mesmerising despite some of the sticky tape removal being quite the wrestle when trying to be "delicate" with one's new toy. At least the secure nature of this allays my fears of it being used already.

That new smell though.

OKAY Quick First impressions.

Fitting/Comfort

The form factor takes a little getting used to compared to the straps of the Vive and its more solid housing. The Rift has  an interesting design choice with its fabric and light plastic which I hope stands the test of time ( I assume the straps are spring loaded).  However, the 100 gram difference in weight is immediately noticeable. Headphones can get in the way when putting on the HMD but this is something I'll learn to deal with by pushing them outwards then pulling them back in for use. 

It's a tight fit on my head and whilst feeling tight and leaving marks on my face, is also comfortable.  The foam is way more softer on the Vive and feels less digging on the face. Still, they are both comfy, but as mentioned the weight advantage is quite apparent even if it's 100 grams and lesser cable.

Image Quality:

I definitely noticed the boxed in field of view on the Home page, immediately. The Vive & Rift are comparable but it's playing down the Vive advantage quite a bit if you believe there's little in it. Rift is more cuboid than the Vive especially on the Y Axis.

Image quality does appear to be more crisp on the Rift at first glance though, it just looks clearer and the sweetspot much more forgiving, I'll have to conduct some more tests for a proper comparison but the Rift has a distinct advantage here. Maybe because I was hot initially but the screens fogged up a little something that's never happened on the Vive (happened a lot on the Gear VR though). I'll keep an eye on this but might have been a one off.

The Mura and red screen is there but only on the top right of the display. Mura at first seems much less pronounced than on the Vive but this is something that's probably different for everyone. For both my HMDs the mura is much worse on the Vive. EDIT: actually, playing Eve Valkyrie the mura appears to be about similar. Still not as bad as the Vive though but very noticeable in dark scenes.

Godrays are well noticeable on the periphery of your view, so if you look directly ahead and not move your head they are less pronounced. If you move your head in circular motions you can clearly see them on the edges. Nothing too major in games but something that is just there to be ignored like the mura effect. They are more noticeable on the Rift but again I'll have to conduct more thorough testing.

In Addendum:

I miss the camera pass through. It's a godsend. No really it is, for getting a quick view to the outside world to pick up the controller. I guess one has to change habits and is a complaint based on being spoiled.

Also I was in the Oculus Cinema, using the Xbox One controller, how to exit the app and go to home? I assume double press on the Xbox One controller but no dice.

How on Earth do you pull out the plastic battery stopper tab on the remote?

Nose Gap - hmmm, double edged sword. It IS distracting when in a brightly lit room - I can see the design on my T-shirt when I look down. However, I can also look up and see a little of the outside world which could be quite useful on occasion. That said, the light bleed isn't bad at all.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
30 REPLIES 30

Techy111
MVP
MVP
I just press the big white X once and options come up on a white screen and bottom left is return to home Rob?
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Also I was in the Oculus Cinema, using the Xbox One controller, how to exit the app and go to home? I assume double press on the Xbox One controller but not dice.

How on Earth do you pull out the plastic battery stopper tab on the remote?

1) Press Xbox button once to bring up the home menu and you should be able to exit to home from any game 🙂

2) pull the back of the remote off first if its stuck, it should just slide off like a tv remote control.

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
No response when I do that Techy111. Also I didn't get any VR intro sequence people talk about is this only when you run the set up?

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Zoomie
Expert Trustee

Remote - Here
You're not the only one who has had issues with the remote battery.

After all this time you finally get to try the Rift.  I finally got to try the Vive this weekend.  Interesting reading your comparison having just finished writing my own.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C Clarke

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Yeah you should get dreamdeck when you finish the setup. If it didn't work go to settings and restart setup from the beginning and at the end you should get the short demos mate ? And just confirm that you xbone controller is working correctly ?
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Plus you can run dreamdeck from oculus home.

Tony

Anonymous
Not applicable
yeah so if you installed oculus home before hand it won't come up.

If I remember rightly you can trigger it again from running the device setup again from the settings menu: https://support.oculus.com/help/oculus/1728323344068939
  1. Start from Oculus home on your computer, select the dropdown menu.
  2. Select Settings.
  3. Select Devices on the left.
  4. Select the dropdown menu, Configure Rift.
  5. Select Rerun Setup.
  6. Calibrate and setup your headset in the orientation that is most comfortable for you.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
What he said ^ 🙂

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Thanks Techy111 I got the Dreamdeck (had that since the Vive),  I was under the impression there was a one time only demo during setup.

Anyhow, that's a pro-tip Zoomie with the remote. Big thanks there as I'd have never thought of that. Anyhow, no dice with going to home. I can't exit Eve Valkyrie either. Maybe I'll reboot and see what happens.