cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Killer app for cv1 - surely its just GTA 6?

Falan
Level 2
I get the fact we have this amazing technology and all these early developers have created beautiful worlds and spiritual experiences with poetry and opera and stuff, honestly I appreciate all that, the finer things its where society should be heading and they are all very good ways to utilise this exciting technology. Simulations is another awesome way to use this tech.

The trouble is there's nothing more fun than ploughing a bus into a line of elderly people at a crossing and lighting up that c4 on the side or pulling out that knife and going on a stab rampage in a shopping mall. Imagine that fun in VR! I'm talking haptic peripheral aim-down-the-sight mayhem in HD, what 7-47 year old isn't going to get all over that?

I for one have now bought a ps3 twice for GTA games, once for GTA4 and again after I scrapped my old one for the new GTA5. I would have got a ps4 but it didn't have GTA5 so that was a no brainer.

Luckys Tale sounds amazing it really does, Eve: Valkyrie amazing, even aliens whatever or asseto corsa..amazing...but give me a Taurus ragingbull and a packed tourist park on a sunny afternoon and im staying in VR for the day, especially if that hand tracked pistol has some kind of haptic kick.

Maybe sony will just beat oculus to the punch here though, they pretty much have everything in place for this kind of experience. Oculus is probably aiming for one of those experiences at the top of my list rather than my lowest common denominator knuckledragging gorefest. Ah well I can dream. :lol:
39 REPLIES 39

TWhite
Level 3
GTA V is going to be my number 1 VR experience personally. I don't care how hacked and glitchy it turns out to be. I will love it. Nobody builds immersive and believable worlds like Rockstar.

I am not even thinking about a 6th installment in the series yet. At some point their improvements are going to stall. Don't expect another jump like we got from SA to IV to happen again anytime soon.

But yeah can't wait to walk around the world of Los Santos in VR.
CPU: i7 3770k 4.6Ghz GPU: EVGA GTX 780

jonnycowboy
Level 2
I think you forget, GTA 5 is available on PC as well!
I'm sure it will be running with the Rift before Sony has GTA 6 running with morpheus (like 1-2 years before!).

Stankiem
Level 2
I think they need a few "killer apps" in different categories before release since most people will be skeptical about VR and you will really need to draw em in from all angles.

Maybe:

Half Life 3
Assetto Corsa (if it becomes more widely known as a good racing game) or another racing game
Eve: Valkyrie
Everquest Next
A good horror game
Media player / 3d movie player / theatre experience
And also some sort of awesome relaxing experience

EDIT: Honestly, GTA doesn't have the same "coolness" in first person. In third person you can really see the results of all your chaos all around you, in first person it all seems dull. So I think it won't make for a good 1st person VR game.

snappahead
Level 5
I think Elite Dangerous will be one after spending some time with it.
i7 3820 16 gigs of Ram GTX 780ti

Wilkin
Level 2
"Falan" wrote:

The trouble is there's nothing more fun than ploughing a bus into a line of elderly people at a crossing and lighting up that c4 on the side or pulling out that knife and going on a stab rampage in a shopping mall. Imagine that fun in VR! I'm talking haptic peripheral aim-down-the-sight mayhem in HD, what 7-47 year old isn't going to get all over that?

Me. I am 43 now, been a gamer since i was...hmm...i think i was 7 when i played pong. 🙂 Anyway, i skipped GTA V, because i don´t care for this BS anymore. Non skipable interactive torture? Who wants to play such a thing? Obviously folks that think going on a killing spree is big fun, especially in VR.

On second thought, rereading the passage i quoted, i am not entirely sure if i fell for some troll-bait...

Nah, i shouldn´t take all too seriously, to each his own and whatever floats your goat. I am just weary of the fact that a douchebag simulator like GTA V is all the rave.

Killer App for the CV1 - Half life 3. Until it comes out i´ll get me Elite dangerous, Project cars or this risotto corsa - and retrofit the hell out of my old games.

I wish that Bethesda would re-release Skyrim in a VR version (would be doable, as they have all the assetts allready, they have to redo the renderengine only) - this would be big Money for them and definately a killer-app. But looking at Zenimax i don´t think that this would happen...

nalex66
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
I think HL3 will be the killer app for VR, in the same way that HL2 drove Steam into the mainstream.

Edit: "risotto corsa" :lol:

i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, 3x Samsung Evo 1TB | Startech PCIe 4x USB 3.0 | Startech PCIe 2x USB C 3.1 gen2

Anonymous
Not applicable
Star Citizen. This must be the one at least for those big AAA titles.

+Made for PC, not for poor consoles.
+Oculus Rift support.
+Mantle support, maybe better multi gpu features like dual rendering.
+Space Sim with FPS elements.

knack
Level 2
my small (yet) project going to start new era, stay tunned a week later after a i receive my DK2, that mean next year. :lol: :twisted:
PD: yes my english its bad i known i5-4570 - Shaphire r9-290, win10-64

raintitan
Level 2
I think the killer app will be something simple, and mainly only enjoyable in a VR experience only.

Something that isn't incremental to the games mentioned.