cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long time DK2, CV1 users, today I bought the Rift S on an impulse

maxpare79
Trustee
Hi everyone, long time user (used to be a mod here as well), I had no intention of buying the S when I saw the specifications and my main disapointment is with the audio, but today some user reviews have started popping up on reddit and it looks like the S is a winner (minus the audio).

Someone says the clarity is like going from 480p to 1080p so lets hope this is tru, because it did convince me.
Let's just hope there are not user reviews that are motivated by trying to justify their own purchases. I will report back with a detailed analysis once I have it.  I will design and 3D print something to put some decent headphones on it, a bit like Tested did but better 😉

I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first 🙂 I9 9900k@5.0, 32gb RAM/ 2080ti Former DK2, Gear VR,CV1 and Rift S owner
11 REPLIES 11

I'm managing my expectations with the resolution, I mean I'm expecting a noticeable improvement but I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than expect too much.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Hi @maxpare79 how you doing mate ? Yeah I did the same, ordered an S at 4pm today, due in the morning from Currys. If it's not as good as they say it goes back lol let us all know how you get on 😉
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

maxpare79
Trustee
Bought it directly from Oculus because they sell to Canada without taxes and shipping is free. But sadly I don't think that Oculus has a try it and return it policy. It was available on Amazon but with taxes it was almost 100$ more
I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first 🙂 I9 9900k@5.0, 32gb RAM/ 2080ti Former DK2, Gear VR,CV1 and Rift S owner

maxpare79
Trustee

I'm managing my expectations with the resolution, I mean I'm expecting a noticeable improvement but I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than expect too much.

To be fair what is praised the most is the "clarity" not necessary the resolution, clarity is basically an equation that includes the resolution, the SDE and the optics, so I hope I will be pleasantly surprise

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Hello Max good to see you're VRing around. 

🙂 

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

maxpare79
Trustee
Hey Shadow! Yeah mostly on and off, tried the Odyssey+ a while back and returned it, now I got curious again, the Reverb has also caught my attention for sims. But no way I am touching the Index at that price point.

maxpare79 said:

To be fair what is praised the most is the "clarity" not necessary the resolution, clarity is basically an equation that includes the resolution, the SDE and the optics, so I hope I will be pleasantly surprise

Yep, when I say resolution I really mean overall clarity and that also includes the software rendering. I don't want to sound over cautious, just from past experience with each launch there can be a bit of seesawing from pessimism to optimism to realisation.... I'm trying to stay slightly downbeat to maximise (hopefully) my enjoyment when I experience it.

By the way max, hope you hang around in the forum for a while mate.

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
I've had a text to confirm Rift S is coming tomorrow, so very excited!  🙂
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had a text to confirm Rift S is coming tomorrow, so very excited!  🙂

Some people have all the luck!

Edit: Just logged on to Amazon, mine has shipped and is arriving tomorrow - woohoo!