cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No more motion sickness!!

Herolord
Protege
Hey guys, when I first got the rift back in July, I used to get motion sickness within 2 minutes of playing, even in games that had little motion (such as that demo where you shoot penguins and other blocky creatures in a dungeon). I read that one could get used to it, so I stuck to it, and got my tolerance up to about 4 minutes before I absolutely had to stop, even though the 4 minutes were still uncomfortable. After about a month of olaying everyday and seeing no improvement, I figured that VR was simply not for me, and that I needed t wait for a new product to try again. Yesterday, however, after finishing another semester and seeing that I was bored, I decided to dust off the old Oculus, and gave it a whirl. I changed two things this time.

1. I turned off V-Sync as recommended.
2. I tightened the head band and snapped the side wheel buttons as far as it would go in, so that my eyelashes are practically touching the lenses.

Voila, I played Skyrim for about 20 minutes with no discomfort or motion sickness AT ALL!! I had heard of the first trick, but had never heard anyone mention the importance, and improvement caused by the getting your eye as close as possible to the lenses. Not only, did the clarity go up, but it made my fov go up DRASTICALLY. It doesn't feel like a para scope anymore, and the added immersion helps with the motion sickness saw ell since your brain feels better, and you can see better overall. Try it! When you are playing a game, press the rift up to your eyes with your palm to see the difference that extra tightness and closeness makes, then set the side wheel buttons and the headband tightness to achieve it! OMG why wasn't I told? So many months wasted!
11 REPLIES 11

sirredknight
Honored Guest
2. I tightened the head band and snapped the side wheel buttons as far as it would go in, so that my eyelashes are practically touching the lenses.

Hey! Good for you. 😄
But I must say. It sounds to me that you just used common sense and made use of the options that were given you. I suggest to every one here to read the manual before hand.

drash
Heroic Explorer
"JCat" wrote:
"Herolord" wrote:

Interesting about the V-Sync. I always used it for smooth scrolling performance, alleviating the tearing. Is this because V-Sync may stutter on a less powerful machine causing the nausea? Just taking a guess while trying to get myself prepped.

I know I sound like a broken record to many, but this comes up so often: There are two kinds of screen tearing. One from "having vsync off", and another (worse) kind from not having your Rift as the primary/preferred/clone source. The second kind of tearing is pretty bad and there's no reason not to fix that by making sure your Rift is the primary display (I'm assuming you're duplicating your display between a monitor and your Rift).

For vsync-related tearing, you have a choice to make:

Vsync ON = double latency, but no screen tearing at all (assuming you've taken care of the second kind of tearing mentioned above).

Vsync OFF = much better latency (at least with Unity games + Nvidia card?), with the downside of a little bit of screen tearing in high-motion games, and if your PC is struggling to hit 60 fps for the game in question, the tearing will be more noticeable.

If you want to try a Unity demo with Vsync off, note that most (but not all) Unity Rift demos have vsync turned on by default, and the only way to turn it off is by going into your graphics card's control panel (or appropriate third party config program) to turn off Vsync.
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com