cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus has lost there court case!!

nAV2016
Heroic Explorer
Oculus has lost there court case, What do people think is going to happen, did we purchase an expensive headset whiich is doomed to fail now?
27 REPLIES 27

reefy86
Adventurer
so if rift is built upon zenimax foundations what will this mean? surely because they lost the case zenimax can now push forward to stop rift sales and oculus will now need to make their own code and if that happens do we chuck our headsets in the bin?

kojack
MVP
MVP

reefy86 said:

and oculus will now need to make their own code

The current oculus sdks are extremely different to the early versions though. Two of the zenimax complaints were for distortion correction and chromatic aberration correction, and both of those have definitely changed.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

nAV2016
Heroic Explorer
I cannot help but feel this is going to have an impact on whether a developer takes an opportunity to make for Oculus exclusivity, I have no doubt the rift is better than the vive but steam VR is better platform to develop for, from a developers point of view.
And its all about the sales, I think the next valve release for a headset is going to change everything. Oculus are going to spend far to much time appealing the decision and we might suffer..this is my gut feeling

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
nAV2016 said:
I cannot help but feel this is going to have an impact on whether a developer takes an opportunity to make for Oculus exclusivity...
A very valid point @nAV2016 - I think we have not been mindful enough of the hard decision that AAA publishers have had to make regarding entering into VR development. After lavish private briefings back in 2014/15 where they were originally promised the DK2 would give them a platform to get going on towards the production system - they were promised that the production system would be mainly sit-down, PC hardware price was not a real issue, and that room-scale was not really important. All this and then they were told that the ZeinMax lawsuit was nothing but a money grab with no truth to the claims.

Well, now faced in 2017 and the picture seems a lot different - developing on DK2 did not give a good enough crossover to CV1 that TOUCH and with it room-scale are vital considerations (OVR even promoting three sensor setup). But, as you state, it is the concern that OVR is going to be mired in a messy appeal and counter suit, with threats of suspension of sales of CV1 and software that just makes this water much less inviting. Not helped by the other issue that the executives that made all those promises back in 2014... are no longer available to comment!

There has to be another issue for those AAA developers beyond the feeling they may have been sold an overly-nieve story of market dominance. There is the view from the other camp, with HTC now promoting their move towards more Business Edition investment, and Sony slowing down (for the time being) promotion of their PSVR. As seen with Activision, EA, and Rockstar it is easier to just say you will sit on the fence for now. VR is happening, just not to the original road-map.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
nAV2016 said:
...And its all about the sales, I think the next valve release for a headset is going to change everything...
I hope you are aware that HTC's CEO of VR dev stated that the next HMD will be at least two years off for consumer! The only new HMD you will be seeing from them is for their Out-of-Home entertainment division. And yes, I agree that we may not see a CV2 in a long while also. OVR's dream of a "smartphone sales cycle" for headsets another victim to business reality.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Arock387
Heroic Explorer
soooo.  I'm not entirely sure what we do.  I love my rift.  I don't really want to switch to vive but if this means the rift is going down are we all getting refunds to purchasing potentially stolen tech which now may be ground into the dirt

nAV2016
Heroic Explorer

Arock387 said:

soooo.  I'm not entirely sure what we do.  I love my rift.  I don't really want to switch to vive but if this means the rift is going down are we all getting refunds to purchasing potentially stolen tech which now may be ground into the dirt

I do not think so but if u think like u are part of Oculus, a $500 million hole..cannot be good! And the fact they are disputing/appealing is just SOS tactics, its a sort of sink or swim type situation, they are actually caught between a rock and a hard place..
Just enjoy what VR has to offer and never have a loyality type mindset

primocell
Explorer
do i sell my headset on craigslist now?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Good grief. Is this a serious thread..?

Zenimax's claim that they 'may' go for an injuction is just posturing, nothing more. The most important part of the lawsuit that Oculus WON is that they DIDN'T steal trade secrets, meaning that any claim for an injunction will almost certainly fail.

As for the $500m that's NOTHING to Zuckerberg/Facebook and the rest of the defendants. Facebook (and Oculus) are loaded, Luckey is loaded and Iribe is loaded. And they'll appeal until they get that reduced anyway. Remember, Facebook have a ridiculous amount of money, Zenimax do not. Zenimax can't afford to have this appeal process drag on for 4 or 5 years and they'll probably agree to settle for a lesser amount of cash out of court.

And developers will continue to release games on the Oculus Store too, because if they only release on Steam they're cutting down on their potential customer base by only releasing on Steam. It doesn't cost any extra releasing games on Steam AND the Oculus Store, so why on earth would any developer in their right mind NOT release their games on the Oculus Store..?

The Rift isn't dead, the Oculus Store isn't dead - both are alive and well. I'm still not certain whether this thread and these posts are serious tbh lmfao :smiley: