Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pico 4 revealed. Slightly higher spec but lower price Quest 2 competitor

kojack
MVP
MVP

https://www.picoxr.com/global/products/pico4

The Pico 4 uses a Snapdragon XR2 SOC like the Quest 2, but with 8GB of ram instead of 6.

Resolution is higher, it has 2160x2160 (like the HP Reverb G2) compared to the Quest 2's 1832x1920.

It has motorised IPD with a range of 62-72mm. The Quest 2 has 58-68mm.

They claim 105 degree FOV, but FOV claims are always questionable (from most companies).

One VERY interesting feature: it has IMU based strap on extra sensors for your legs.

pico4_six_pot_item_2.faf80571.png

pico4_feature_btm_bg.bb3b5bf4.png

7a1d2e6aee3e0168548557456d8f938c.mp4_snapshot_00.02_[2022.09.23_01.18.57].jpg

It has 5 cameras: 4 for tracking as expected, but also a 16MP colour camera for mixed reality and pass through.

The trailer shows hand tracking as well.

Pico is also making its own metaverse, called Pico Worlds. 🙂

That video looks prerendered, but since the Pico 4 will have leg trackers available, its already better than Meta's floating torso avatars.

The official page doesn't talk about things like ports (does it have display port like the Pico Neo 3?) or wireless PCVR support (Pico Neo 3 had it's own Airlink style system)

It's 128GB model is €20 cheaper than the Quest 2 128GB and the 256GB is €50 cheaper. It's launching in October in Japan, Korea, and 13 European countries, including the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Spain, and Italy. No US release is currently announced (although they did go through FCC certification, so probably in the future).

The thing to consider though, Pico is a sibling company to Tik Tok, both are owned by Bytedance. But then again MANY people don't trust Facebook either.

Cas & Chary have a preview of the headset.

From Cas, some more info:

- controllers have 2 AA batteries each

- no display port, but does have wifi streaming of steamvr

- a separate wireless PCVR dongle will be sold later, in case your existing wifi sucks

- Pico 4 Enterprise will come out later for businesses, it has eye and face tracking

- The IPD really is motorised. You set the desired IPD in the software and the lenses move to match

Yeah, this post is a bit of a mess. It's 2:39am, I'm tired. I might clean it up tomorrow. 🙂

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2
8 REPLIES 8

Mradr
Protege

Soo... just a better over all headset then. That IDP uses cameras to correct for your real IDP one of the leaker said. So you don't really have to guess anymore. Just not sure if they meant pro version or not, but so far no leaks claims that Meta's pro will have any of that.  As for dual screens - Quest 1 had them - it was way better... then they remove them and still charge more for Quest 2... so instead of a nice slider you was gimp with a step. 

So far games should be supported for both headsets. They did drop the direct link for the wireless - so there will be a bit of a compromise with display quality. 

But over all it looks like it comes with a lot of nice extra features that everyone was asking Meta to make - but didnt care to add on or even listen too. I remember when there was an issue with the controls spring loaded battery wasnt fully pressure or would come out. I like what they did with the new battery pack slider/loader to fix some of that.

Even color passthrough. From what I know though, even leaks say its a bit delay - but over all still good enough or comparable to current Quest 2 cameras, but you get color now that will be only in the Quest Pro version until they release more information on their Quest 3 that will be more likely delayed for the new XR3 or next year.

It doesnt come out for the US so it will put a little less pressure on Meta - but in terms of hardware and cost - its going to be a blow on them for not updating the hardware and releasing with a bit of a step 2 forwards 1 backwards that was Quest 2 over 1. 

As for the two evils... honestly it still comes down to software/games - but lets be real here. You can't make a game/software if you don't have the freedom to make your software/game. So in terms of hardware - you still need to push that forward so your software can have that. Consoles are a proof of stagnation when the hardware doesnt update as much and you have to rely on total user base sells alone.

XR3 for example should've been in talks with Meta two years ago. Why did most leakers report they didnt talk to closer to just a year or even less than that? Even the Pro should've been release almost 6 months back... like what is going on over there?

Idk... meta just did too many silly things in the past .. at this point I am up for any good upgrade path going forward. Either it be Apple, Pico, or some other company at this point. If they would just admit they did something wrong and then NOT try to spin it like its THEIR idea to make the change that the customer base wants... and do some of those things it would be a different story. Just no trust with Meta anymore and they can go burn for all I care.... In the last 2 months - I had to help something like 30 customers get setup with their accounts with almost half of them having issues in doing so... like what the hell is going on with their sync system to setup their devices? Like We had to tell them just to return it in the mean time and the main brick and motor store end up just removing them off their shelves now until whatever is going on is fix lol

I remember someone telling me that was the best idea they had yet ... like no and that is the perfect example why WE DONT NEED TO LINK OUR PHONES WITH THESE DEVICES IN THAT MATTER - its soo stupid. 

Anyways - As for Quest Pro - there will be some neat features coming that will make you think about getting that over what Pico is offering here. For example, ( MY IDEA BTW THAT OTHERS SAID I WAS CRAZY AND THEY COULDNT DO IT HAHAHA GUESS WHOS LAUIGHING NOW!? ) camera tracking on the controls themselves. That one will be A BIG upgrade for the platform going forward. Not only does it fix soo many of the smaller tracking issues it over all will make it a solid choice for any game in the future even compare to any other headset coming out in the next year or two. There was even talks of it working with even the Quest 2 maybe. After that.. its more of a meh. Flat lenses have issues in terms of current displays in that it takes a lot of light for them to work correctly, but they are able to really get it flat now (both companies) and more are on their way to making that happen. They are also moving the screens to the side slightly to increase H/V FOV sightly witch is something I dont think Pico Pro is doing. Their biggest win is still in software though... they will be coming out with a few more games that are big titles compare to what I know for Pico. They are also working with software companies (business) to also focus more on their pro model - but releases for their platform as well. I believe even Microsoft looking at adding somethings as well. 

For the future - I really still say Meta should work on their road map for releases... other wise no one going to know when they should get a headset or not - or wait for something else. Its bonkers to me we have to wait to hear any news or relay on leakers to get any information. They need to be more stable on their release cycles (stop dropping platforms/headsets: GO, Quest1, PC Headsets, etc) without releasing what they are planning to do next or how another product will replace another one. They also need to focus on releasing two types of headsets AROUND the same time of each other... none of this BS of about getting the price low or **bleep**ty quility this or that... they need to release a base models follow by a higher end model that comes with more bells and charms. Not only does it give users the ability to upgrade/get something better - it allow your software devs the ability to start using new features for the next hardware releases and gives the end user that road map into what they should be looking for in their next headset. Pico doing a good job at that front... they already plan their eye tracking into two sections - eye gaze and full track. Gaze for menu stuff and full track for DFOV. Can't go wrong with knowing that will be around the bin later.

@Mradr wrote:

WE DONT NEED TO LINK OUR PHONES WITH THESE DEVICES IN THAT MATTER - its soo stupid. 

That's something that's never made any sense to me.

I can imagine when the Go first came out they needed a quick method of setting it up so they made a mobile app. I assumed that would be temporary, they'd eventually get it all in headset.

But then the Quest 1 and Quest 2 came and still that phone crap.

The store is in the headset, wifi settings are in the headset, it even runs android so you could almost just stick the mobile app in there as a floating panel!

Even more crazy, why can't you bind controls in the headset? Binding bluetooth gamepads and headphones is in-headset, but not touch controllers!

Pico doesn't use a mobile app for setup. 🙂

When you unbox: Turn on headset, press pico button on controllers, set guardian, set wifi password. Everything done in-headset.

For the auto IPD, the Enterprise model might do that, it has eye tracking. But the consumer model doesn't.

Yeah, that battery cartridge thing looks cool. Hopefully it's not going to be a point of failure due to extra complexity.

PICO 4 Hands On- The Light - Cheap QUEST 3 Competitor.gif

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

My understanding even the base model has eye gaze - or correcting IDP ability. Again, that information might be wrong, but I remember someone telling me that even comes with the base model. Even if not true, the fact you can move them without having to get out of the headset is already a welcome change and just that much more user friendly. I Think it might have been from SadlyItsBradley - aaa maybe safe to say I might be wrong on the base model - but I just remember hearing it does "see" what IDP you should have.

Also hello !!! Sorry I been away life has been crazy:)

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

My take on the Pico4 is very short, lol - that is, the Pico 4 could have been of some interest with a tethered DisplayPort connection, but unfortunately that was removed. Pico 4 does not seem much targeted PCVR, but more targeted Quest 2 and Quest Pro standalones. I'm not into mobile gpus and associated experiences. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

90% sure the cable will be dead going forward for many of the VR headsets. Not all of course, but many. The cable is just another breaking point for them to have to deal with and that means over all cost for everyone as they also need to support/trouble shoot it along with dealing with questions over what cable works or how do I buy x cable. 

Not that I am surprise - I figure it would be a thing. The only downside is wireless also have limits and that also keeps us from getting better resolutions unless they can come up with their own wireless solution.

Of course, the added benefit of not having to deal with a cable as you game of course~

I do believe they have something similar as Oculus Air Link - so you should be able to play PC games.

@Mradr wrote:

I do believe they have something similar as Oculus Air Link - so you should be able to play PC games.

Yep, like the previous Pico headsets, the 4 has wifi streaming for SteamVR.

They are also going to later release their own wireless dongle to try to avoid problems people have with low quality routers and stuff. (I've got an Asus AX11000 with a 5GHz channel dedicated to my Quest 2, so I'm already fine)

I don't know what that will really be, is it custom like Logitech mouse dongles (but 5GHz or more), or is it just a Pico branded wifi 6 dongle that they've tested as suitable?

)

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Pico 4 has support for wireless PCVR, but the comments I've read indicate the streaming quality is worse than Quest 2. And then it may be a much better solution to get the Quest 2 if you want wireless VR. 

On Reddit many wanted Pico 4 for the DisplayPort to get rid of any streaming artifacts.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

OH yea, totally I rather see the cable honestly. Even if it jacks the price up a bit more - it be totally worth it. That's why I always say company's should really release 3 types of headsets - Eco, Stander, Pro. That way they can cheap out if they wish for the Eco (one screen, step fov, and wireless only), while their Stander should support both native PCVR and a few other features. That's one of the many reasons I got a bit upset with Meta/FB because they said they wasnt into that idea and never was going to going forward unless they had to. Something between 500-800 would allow them to start moving features from their Pro line while giving the best mix of both worlds. I was right on many fronts - Quest 2 is the slow down that is causing VR to struggle some as the mobile hardware GPU is struggling a bit to keep up with future titles wanting a bit more power unless they start releasing a bit sooner for refreshes. Their cycle should be every 1.5 to 2 years even if it makes some people feel like they might not have gotten all they could from their current. That's normal... hell go talk to people that buy bread and milk and they too will be upset it has a shelf life lol.