cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended graphics card

new299
Honored Guest
Hi all,

Are there any recommended graphics cards for use with the Rift, or any specific requirements? Are there any graphics card that would /not/ be suitable for use with the Rift.

If I buy either a high end Nvidia or ATI card will that be ok?
39 REPLIES 39

VirtualJesus
Honored Guest
It's all game-specific, really. You need 45-60 fps to maintain suitable immersion, so obviously the better the graphic card, the more high-end graphical games you'll be able to experience.
My Old Projects QuantaCube DK2 Owner /u/diregoat on reddit

new299
Honored Guest
I've heard the 7990 has some latency issues which could be a particular issue for the VR stuff I guess:

http://www.zdnet.com/amd-unveils-999-radeon-hd-7990-dual-gpu-graphics-card-beast-7000014457/

I'm currently looking at a GTX690, which should also have good Linux support (which is an added plus).

sammaz
Honored Guest
EVGA GTX 680 4GB here. It will lock at 60fps v-sync in 1280x800 with every game max settings.

MarkDeane
Explorer
"new299" wrote:
I've heard the 7990 has some latency issues which could be a particular issue for the VR stuff I guess:

http://www.zdnet.com/amd-unveils-999-radeon-hd-7990-dual-gpu-graphics-card-beast-7000014457/

I'm currently looking at a GTX690, which should also have good Linux support (which is an added plus).

I currently have a GTX690 and I highly recommend it. It works really well for pushing high frame rates. I have not run into any SLI stuttering issues like some people say they run into. Hope that helps a little, it's the best graphics card I have ever owned.

new299
Honored Guest
"amoceri" wrote:

I currently have a GTX690 and I highly recommend it. It works really well for pushing high frame rates. I have not run into any SLI stuttering issues like some people say they run into. Hope that helps a little, it's the best graphics card I have ever owned.

Awesome, I've just put the order through! Thanks!

MarkDeane
Explorer
NP you will love it

vrexperience
Explorer
Just to add balance, I have a GTX660ti 3gb and on my dual core 3ghz board I hit 60fps on all demos I play. My VR interest is not games and so the extra grunt is not so important to me so if like me you are not a gamer then £230 compared to £700 may be good news.
Steve Jones
iMica ltd
https://checkmate1500plus.com/

wesleyb82
Honored Guest
Anyone have experience running the demos on a laptop? I've noticed Oculus has been running demos recently on ASUS laptops, anyone know which model they're using?

I've heard 650m can run most but not all "Tuscany is very smooth. 97-170 fps. TF2 runs really smooth as well. Museum of the Microstar is pretty intensive, and runs at a rough 25-35 fps. Standing still in MotM is cool, but lots of motion blur when you move."

Looking at a 670m G75 but I'll sacrifice mobility and stick to a desktop if these machines are not up to the task.

VirtualJesus
Honored Guest
"wesleyb82" wrote:
Anyone have experience running the demos on a laptop? I've noticed Oculus has been running demos recently on ASUS laptops, anyone know which model they're using?

I've heard 650m can run most but not all "Tuscany is very smooth. 97-170 fps. TF2 runs really smooth as well. Museum of the Microstar is pretty intensive, and runs at a rough 25-35 fps. Standing still in MotM is cool, but lots of motion blur when you move."

Looking at a 670m G75 but I'll sacrifice mobility and stick to a desktop if these machines are not up to the task.

Yeah I've got an ASUS laptop with the 650m, and i think it'll cut it for most things. I get 60fps easy in skyrim on medium settings, which is not so bad looking especially given the current resolution of the rift.
Cymatic Bruce uses this: http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-G74SX-A1-17-3-Inch-Gaming-Laptop/dp/B00542SUD8 , which is a more high-end gaming laptop and can pretty much handle everything at 60 fps (maybe with the exception of microstar).
My Old Projects QuantaCube DK2 Owner /u/diregoat on reddit