cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift - one lens died?? (SOLVED)

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I figured I would post this, in case the issue happens to anyone else.

When I turned on my Rift today (CV1), the Right Lens was flashing green, and had awful vertical bars everywhere. Something akin to,

5q8m0ncak8un.png

I tried replugging all cables, and moving the HMD and Sensor connections around. Then restarted my computer. The end result, was that my Right HMD Lens was now pitch black. It wasn't turning on at all.

I decided to open Device Manager, and go down the list of all USB ports, and clicked on "Update Driver," with the "Automatically Search" option.

It turns out that I did have a driver available for the Host Controller.

nwbkx0b6l6tt.png

After an update and re-boot... the Rift is back in 100% working order. Whew! I thought I was going to have to finally purchase a new PCVR HMD. That was a close one lol
11 REPLIES 11

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Good tip mate, thanks.  I get the occasional blackout with my cv1.  So far this is always fixed by just reseating the cable connector going into the headset.  One time I also needed to reseat the connector going to my GPU's HDMI.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Having both Index and CV1 connected to the same rig can cause the error "Headset cannot be found - please connect your headset", but only for the CV1 - always help rebooting. 

I wonder how many would simply have thrown out the CV1 when experiencing what Zenbane just did  :# - Without taking the time to try to solve the problem... 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

PhoenixSpyder
Rising Star
Nice to find a solution for your CV1...congrats. For mine, I'm still thinking it's the cable (but I'm not prepared to pay almost the same price as a replacement HMD to find out... :#).

i7 8700k; 5ghz (water cooled), Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, Corsair 270R case, EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra, 32 GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, 1TB M.2 SSD, Adata Su800 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, BarraCuda 2TB HD, Toshiba 3tB HD, Rift (dead), Rift S, Win 10 Pro 2004, Inateck KT4006 USB3.0

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Nice to find a solution for your CV1...congrats. For mine, I'm still thinking it's the cable (but I'm not prepared to pay almost the same price as a replacement HMD to find out... :#).

Yeah, I was worried that I was going to have to purchase an entirely new kit. I wouldn't be certain what to purchase right away. For me, it would be down to choosing between the Reverb G2 or the Valve Index. I plan to get the Quest 2, but I don't really see that as my "next PCVR HMD."

I'm hoping to ride out my Rift CV1 a little longer. I would like to see what Valve does with their own 2nd version HMD.

When this problem first hit me yesterday, I assumed that my HMD was pretty much dead. I don't recall ever having this problem before during the 4+ years I've had my Rift CV1. So I jumped to the conclusion that it had finally reached its end of life.

And Googling the problem doesn't help one bit. Most of the search results are 2+ years old, and almost every solution involves RMA and getting a replacement Rift from Oculus Support. That's clearly not an option either in 2020, so yeah, I thought I was screwed lol

But it was late on a Quarantine Friday, and I was determined to get some PCVR going. Glad I didn't just give up (as Rune said). And nice to see that others have encountered similar issues before (Tom) and were able to self-resolve.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Must admit that I treat my CV1 with great caution these days - making sure to stretch the headphones wires as gently as possible when taking the hmd on and off. 

A few times I have lost sound in the left speaker, but then I remembered that I have not touched the screws holding the headphones in place for like 3 years - and I was able to tighten both screws (like 25 to 50% of a full turn), since then sound has been fine. And I hope it will be for a long time. 

Not once have I needed to re-seat the cable. 

Index might be an option if you get a 3080 or 3090, because it takes tons of gpu power to Revive the most demanding Oculus exclusive titles. But CV1 lets me run all those games close to flawlessly thanks to ASW 2.0 - and oled is a must for many games. So I'm not ready to part with CV1 yet (also for many more reason I'm not going to repeat again, lol). 

Btw, for long Oculus recommended using 2 x USB 3.0 and 1 x USB 2.0 for 3 sensors. After Update 21 I got the message that Oculus now recommended 3 x USB 3.0 for 3 sensors for optimal performance - I read that like Oculus has not forgotten about the CV1 and still optimizes the software. Also my CV1 has been working close to flawlessly, maybe not much for Oculus to optimize any more for that hmd.. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Regarding the USB drivers stuff,

During my troubleshooting yesterday, I noticed for the first time that my Oculus Software on my PC now sees two of my USB 3,0 drives as being version 2.0; similar to the situation on my Laptop. This is the "made for Oculus" PC I purchased back in 2016 from Asus. And all the drivers on the back of the PC are version 3.0; which the Oculus Software never had issues recognizing before.

It hasn't caused any problems (yet) for my playing ability. But I did find it interesting that whatever recent update either to my Oculus software or Windows machine seems to have created this driver version conflict.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
I've always treated mine with kid gloves, but the bugger still died on me 😞

Comfiest headset around - with the best audio.

oh yeah - I just reinstalled Oculus after my PC upgrade couple of days ago and the display actually came up in my Rift CV1 - joy! But cautious joy - and with good reason. Within half a minute it all went black again - though the audio is still fine. I'd like to think it's just the cable, but I have my doubts. Don't think I'll be able to bring myself to bin it or sell it for parts/repair.
So many cables on ebay and every single one says "Faulty". I know why they do it, but I'm not buying something described as such because if it's shagged it's just throwing cash away. Sad state of affairs.

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
i wonder how many people buy the cable swap it with their broken cable then send it back asking for a refund.

PhoenixSpyder
Rising Star

Zenbane said:

Yeah, I was worried that I was going to have to purchase an entirely new kit. I wouldn't be certain what to purchase right away. For me, it would be down to choosing between the Reverb G2 or the Valve Index. I plan to get the Quest 2, but I don't really see that as my "next PCVR HMD."

I'm hoping to ride out my Rift CV1 a little longer. I would like to see what Valve does with their own 2nd version HMD.

Yes, I miss the CV1, but the Rift S does the job visually (for development) for now...until the G2 arrives. Though to be honest, I can see the slight difference between 40fps & 45fps ASW (during fast moving stuff)...but it's fine for my present needs. No Quest 2 for me until they perfect the PC tethering...since gaming has taken a back seat for me anyway, until I'm closer to release (wish I could do even a small reveal, but you all know why I can't just yet B))

The Index for me would only be considered for the higher refresh rate ability, but unless one has an unattainable 3090 most everything can't really utilize that anyway in VR for now.

I'm sure hoping HP is working on bettering the G2 controllers (battery use, touch ability) during the delay, but they haven't mentioned anything other than bettering the display which is a good thing.

For now, the G2 is probably the best there will be...until true Gen2

i7 8700k; 5ghz (water cooled), Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, Corsair 270R case, EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra, 32 GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, 1TB M.2 SSD, Adata Su800 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, BarraCuda 2TB HD, Toshiba 3tB HD, Rift (dead), Rift S, Win 10 Pro 2004, Inateck KT4006 USB3.0