cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift technology

learruda
Level 2
Hello, I wish someone would answer me properly, this system works for people viewing only one eye? The film system with 3D technology for people with vision of one eye does not work, this will not work either? The other competing systems any employee? I thank you for your attention.
3 REPLIES 3

TwoHedWlf
Level 11
No, nothing works to give people with one eye 3d vision, it is impossible.

Other than that the head and positional tracking will work fine, you just won't have any depth perception beyond implied depth from parallax, size, etc.

Anonymous
Not applicable
People with one eye can discern depth. They do it automatically with very miniature head movements (wobble) to change perspective. If you've lost an eye, it doesn't mean depth perception is entirely gone. Your brain adjusts so that it's now done differently.

Since Rift/ Vive/ PSVR all have positional tracking, your head movements will also be mimicked in VR and you should theoretically receive similar depth perception you would have experienced in real life with your eye. We can't technically call this stereoscopic depth, but it's still depth perception.

The only problem I see is the fact that you have to be spending for both eyes and getting one eye's worth.

TL:DR; Yes. It will work with one eye. If you don't have 2 working eyes, you won't see a problem with it and it should work as per normal.

Warbloke
Level 9

learruda said:

Hello, I wish someone would answer me properly, this system works for people viewing only one eye? The film system with 3D technology for people with vision of one eye does not work, this will not work either? The other competing systems any employee? I thank you for your attention.

If you are asking 'Hey - I have one working eye... can any of the existing VR devices out there make me see the 3D VR world the same as someone with 2 working eyes?' Then the answer is no... no they cant.
(No more than you would look around in the real world and see the real world the same as someone with 2 eyes)
VR headsets cant fix that no more than as you say any 3D TV out there.... folk with one eye view the world differently from folk with 2 eyes... this is the reality.

So VR (Virtual Reality).... if you have 1 eye... this is 'your' reality.  You are used to seeing the real world like that.  If you buy a Virtual Reality headset, it will create a virtual reality similar to how you see the real world in your own reality.  So does VR work for you? yes.

If you have 2 eyes... this is 'your' reality, and how you see the real world would be created 'virtually'.

Our brains would process what we see... and if this matches your reality... thus, it will appear real, or at least allow you to feel immersed.... thus the VR device did what it was supposed to do.

"You can't believe everything you read on the Internet " :- Abraham Lincoln