cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Valve Deckard - new hmd from Valve seems likely to arrive

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

This was just posted today:

"At Valve, we are pushing the boundaries of virtual reality (VR) experiences. We are looking for versatile, self-directed software engineers in computer vision who can help us achieve the next steps in VR with millions of customers world-wide.

The main scope of this position is to prototype, ship, and support consumer gaming products leveraging visual-inertial tracking (HMD and controllers), camera passthrough, environment understanding, eye tracking, and hand tracking."

Source: https://www.valvesoftware.com/en/jobs?job_id=52

More here:

https://uploadvr.com/valve-job-vr-headset-deckard/

And probably here:

Valve-Deckard-patent-front-speakers

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

4 REPLIES 4

kojack
MVP
MVP

If they've just started hiring people to prototype a headset, it's not exactly coming out any time soon.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Rumors about the Deckard has been out for long, and of course hard to say what Valve is planning. I'm not holding my breath before I see some more concrete evidence. 

The take-home message may be that Valve has not given up on VR - lately there have been rumors that HP will stop making G2s next year and will not produce more hmds. At least nice to see some evidence that Valve is still a player 🙂 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

kojack
MVP
MVP

HP really backed the wrong horse with Windows Mixed Reality. Microsoft have done bugger all with it. The software is lacking, they barely even seem to know WMR exists, they only care about Hololens.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Agreed, and Valve gave HP the Index speakers, but not the software drivers - if HP G2 supported SteamVR natively, without the added WMR layer, even I may have bought one.