cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Well just learned about facebook and oculus

vr666noob
Explorer
If my facebook account is shut down for any reason, I wouldn't be able to use the Oculus Quest 2? That doesn't make any sense! I don't see why it would ever happen to me but if for some reason it does, I can still use it as a PCVR with steam, right? 
22 REPLIES 22

edmg
Trustee
There's a rumor that Facebook are going to allow people to create VR-only accounts which aren't connected to the social media side of Facebook. If true, it would solve all the problems; it would basically be just like an Oculus account but hosted on Facebook.

But, again, it's an Internet rumor and may be completely made up.

Double_Shot
Adventurer

edmg said:

There's a rumor that Facebook are going to allow people to create VR-only accounts which aren't connected to the social media side of Facebook. If true, it would solve all the problems; it would basically be just like an Oculus account but hosted on Facebook.

But, again, it's an Internet rumor and may be completely made up.

But you will still have to sign on to FBs draconian, privacy invasions.  If you're ok with that, you go girl.  I'm not.

HaselHoof
Adventurer

But you will still have to sign on to FBs draconian, privacy invasions.  If you're ok with that, you go girl.  I'm not.

Well why post here then ?

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

edmg said:

There's a rumor that Facebook are going to allow people to create VR-only accounts which aren't connected to the social media side of Facebook......

Sorry @edmg - there are a lot of "rumors" flowing round here - can you pass us to a actual substantiated link for this latest rumor, as some of us think they may just be circulating rumors to try and defuse the situation. 
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@vr666noob - You will have have to wait and see what Facebook says about all this. As it stands I think you need a Facebook account to login to the Oculus Quest 2 and if that's the case I'm not sure how you would use Steam VR, if you were locked out of your headset. I can't see them doing this, but they need to let people know how this is all going to work out.

vr666noob
Explorer
Ok, just to be safe, I created a separate facebook account for Oculus. Also, I've taken steps to make sure it's used as a separate facebook account and not a fake account, because Facebook is cracking down on fake accounts. I have a suspicion that they're gonna run Oculus into the ground because of how Facebook has been discriminating against people who commit the horrible crime of exercising their freedom of expression. I was originally going to go for the more expensive PCVRs but because I never done VR before, I pre ordered the quest 2 to use it as a way to introduce myself to VR. If this happens to me I'll be sure to post it here, get a non oculus VR and never look back. I feel like that facebook controlling oculus is like watching Ready Player One, but the six'ers got the easter egg lol

nalex66
MVP
MVP

kevinw729 said:

edmg said:

There's a rumor that Facebook are going to allow people to create VR-only accounts which aren't connected to the social media side of Facebook......

Sorry @edmg - there are a lot of "rumors" flowing round here - can you pass us to a actual substantiated link for this latest rumor, as some of us think they may just be circulating rumors to try and defuse the situation. 

It was a guy on Reddit who claimed to have participated in a Facebook/Oculus UX test group. It’s not in any way substantiated, but here is the post that is the source of this rumour. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Double_Shot
Adventurer

HaselHoof said:

Well why post here then ?

The issues don't go away just because certain people decide to post or not post.  Are you one of them elitist, intolerant types who thinks only they have something relevant to add to the discussion?   (And remember, I'm just asking the question - not suggesting.)

Double_Shot
Adventurer

RedRizla said:

@vr666noob - You will have have to wait and see what Facebook says about all this. As it stands I think you need a Facebook account to login to the Oculus Quest 2 and if that's the case I'm not sure how you would use Steam VR, if you were locked out of your headset. I can't see them doing this, but they need to let people know how this is all going to work out.

I got booted from FB last year for commenting on Kathy Griffin's beheading of Trump in those ridiculous pictures of hers.  But yet, you can still find those pics and commentary all over FB today.  The people doing the decision making are arbitrary idiots so there's no telling what they will do or not do unfortunately, which makes them even more dangerous to the public sphere.  To give those guys a blank check drawn on your information is insanity.  I was cutting paychecks for dozens of employees for an industrial technologies corporation before most of them were born.