cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zuckerberg releases image of upgraded Horizon's graphics

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Since Horizon's inception, the graphics have been very simplistic. Cartoonish and flat, with less focus on visuals and more focus on functionality.

Despite how long these relatively lackluster visuals have been in place, it seems that in recent weeks a plethora of criticism received the attention of Meta. In response, Zuckerberg released a statement along with a screenshot of some of the future updated graphics we can expect to see. Aside from more realistic looking Avatars, I found the environment upgrade worth a share. 😊

"Major updates to Horizon and avatar graphics coming soon. I'll share more at Connect. Also, I know the photo I posted earlier this week was pretty basic -- it was taken very quickly to celebrate a launch. The graphics in Horizon are capable of much more -- even on headsets -- and Horizon is improving very quickly."

Zenbane_0-1661028673809.png

^^
Not too shabby, and really looking forward to jumping back in to Horizon once these visual upgrades are in place.

Personally, I have always been able to relate to focusing on features and functionality over visuals. I've been a software dev for over 20 years, and long before there was such a thing as Facebook - or even MySpace (lol?) - most of my dev projects suffered the same approach. If I created a Desktop Application, it was a Grey Form with a White Button. If I created a Web Application, it was a White Form with a Grey Button. And all my buttons said the same thing: Click me!

The low-grade approach to visuals never bothered me, since there was so much magic behind the scenes. I've built buttons that connected global mainframes and performed QA checks for Rockets. Ugly buttons sitting on ugly backgrounds, but magical buttons nonetheless! Most of the other developers senior level developers I've encountered throughout my career had a very similar behavior with their work. Hell, some of the developers that I personally looked up to in my career didn't even bother with an interface; all their magic was executed at the Command Line.

Adding pretty graphics should always be one of the last things implemented. In fact, I typically worry when I see a new software product advertised in a way that overly highlights its visuals. That's usually a sign that there isn't anything behind the imagery that's really worth the users time. Smoke and mirrors.

Anywho, sorry for the random digression 😋

It sounds like the next Meta Connect conference will have some rather enticing reveals.

23 REPLIES 23

@DaftnDirect wrote:

otherwise that avatar won't be very meaningful.

Maybe Zuckerberg just wanted a 3d model of himself? 🙂

No, he's too metaverse obsessed, he wants to be himself in VR.

The avatar editor says not all experiences may show legs, but yeah I've never seen one that does. Looking through the Meta Avatar SDK I can't even find a mention of legs.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

My World is a little slice of London, the lack of legs has had an influence 😉

FB_IMG_1661203792658.jpg

kojack
MVP
MVP

One odd thing with avatars, why does the current avatar system not let you rotate the character? Or zoom in on the head? That's pretty basic behavior in games.

It really seems like the people they got to make this aren't gamers / game devs.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

willxlove
Honored Guest

I’m not really expecting much until they come out with a new headset. I know no one really wants to hear that I don’t really want to hear that because why spend money if you don’t have to… But the quest two is basically a mid range android phone at this point and it can be so much better. I’d rather turn it in or sell it secondhand and pay for a new version that has a better screen, that would combat motion sickness and improve graphics and battery life and connectivity yada yada yada. When we get a new headset will start to see changes

You could be right @willxlove 

I have some doubts that server upgrades can deliver the kind of improvements needed for the graphics in Zen's post, it's not out of the question that an Horizon upgrade will coincide with a Quest 3 release sometime next year.

The big question with that is compatibility with existing worlds already created and used by a lot of people and the large Quest 2 userbase. I just can't see a two tier Horizon being popular, shutting off worlds created for Quest 3's to Quest 2 users?

Maybe Meta's roadmap is heavily dependent on the consumer headset remaining at a price level that people feel ok upgrading once every 3 years. You just get the inevitable anger from those who buy into it late in the cycle. And to be fair, there's probably a years grace before the number of Quest 3 only apps become significant, as it was when the Quest 2 arrived. Either way, there's no perfect answer.

:hundred_points: making sense. 

@kojack wrote:

I was able to come close to recreating the selfie zuckerberg, but the shirt he is wearing isn't part of the current avatar system.

This was what I ended up with (got bored and stopped trying):

2_855587281166597_avatar2dimage.png

Eyebrows need to be lighter and I couldn't remove the smile.

Although now it looks like I'm such a Zuckerberg fanboy that I want to cosplay as him. I should change to something else.

@willxlove wrote:

the quest two is basically a mid range android phone at this point 

I have to wholeheartedly disagree, considering I have played through high-end PCVR titles the likes of SkyrimVR and Lone Echo 1 & 2 on my Quest 2. That's far from what can be done on any range android phone.

Quest 2 is a fabulous PCVR headset. And PCVR is not a Mobile platform.

Just trying to make sure you were following the discussion. You referring this as PCVR, I’m assuming you are talking about connecting it to a PC which uses the PC graphics card and game versions local to that PC, right? Thats what PCVR means. Using a PC.
That would be bypassing the Oculus chipset and game system / game programming entirely and just using it as a display. The oculus quest two is very much a mobile platform. That’s entirely the point and how I would have to say most users play on the platform. It features a Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 processor, a mobile processor in several mobile phones like the Samsung Galaxy S20, Moto Edge, SONY Experia 1, etc. 

That’s the context we were speaking. As Meta doesn’t sell you an additional PC to go with the headset so when we were discussing power, it was based on the unit as is. Make sense?

kojack
MVP
MVP

The Quest 2 when viewed on its own is a mobile headset.

But it's also the most commonly used headset for PCVR on Steam. It's sitting at 50.32% of VR users at the moment, making it more popular for PCVR than every other headset (Index, Vive, Rift, etc) combined.

It's a hybrid headset.