cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

please help with magnetic calibration: solved!

Trip_Rodriguez
Level 3
Edit: Problem solved thanks to grodenglaive! Installed the old SDK 0.3.2 preview and calibration worked immediately.

Alright guys, sorry to bug you with this. My yaw drift has gotten bad to the point of being unbearable and I can not get the magnetic calibration to work at all.

I barely got it to work last time, which was way back when most of us were just getting our DK1's, but after I did the drift was much, much better for a long time afterward. Over the past three nights I've spent a total of about three hours trying to get the calibration to finish. It either gives me error 2x "not enough" or error 6 "too much".

I've checked youtube videos, read the official instructions dozens of times, google searched over and over, and everything else I can imagine. I've tried slow careful rotation, moderate, fast and hectic. I've tried calibrating sitting down, standing up, in different locations. I've tried being extremely careful to keep the headset stationary while I rotate it, and I've been careless and let it move around quite a bit. I always get one of those two failures. As of this moment I've been trying continuously for over an hour =(.

I reflashed it with the latest DK1 firware. The only thing I haven't done is try to use an old SDK.

Until someone gets DK2 to work with Star Citizen this is all I've got and this issue is killing me. If anyone can offer any help I'd be much obliged.

Again, sorry to bother you guys with this,

Trip
Ray "Trip" Rodriguez III R 'n' R Lawn Service Lake Ariel PA
5 REPLIES 5

genetransfer
Level 3
yeah I had issues last week calibrating my dk1 with the new sdk. I did eventually get it but can't remmeber what exactly did it as I failed for many reasons lke you described.

I do hear turning off the rift during the calibration helps, I heard about that one after the fact so I haven't tested the theory. it definitely harder to calibrate than it used to be in the old sdk. but it might just be me but i think it drifts less now than it used to.

Trip_Rodriguez
Level 3
Edit: I put in another hour of trying, a good portion of that with the screen off but it didn't seem to make any difference.

If I do the procedure properly it fails from "not enough" magnetic variance. It only fails from "too much" when I get pretty aggressive.

grodenglaive
Level 2
That's super frustrating.
see https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=14454
sdk 0.3.2 worked for me... eventually. Then you can re-install 0.4.3.
I recall my last attempt I had the rift in my lap instead of out in front of me, but that may have been a coincidence.
GA-Z97X-gaming gt; i5-4670k; Nvidia780Ti; 16GB PC3-17066; win7-64 bit; DK2

Trip_Rodriguez
Level 3
Thanks I'll try that and let you know how I make out.

Trip_Rodriguez
Level 3
"grodenglaive" wrote:
That's super frustrating.
see https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=14454
sdk 0.3.2 worked for me... eventually. Then you can re-install 0.4.3.
I recall my last attempt I had the rift in my lap instead of out in front of me, but that may have been a coincidence.

That worked! I installed the SDK 0.3.2 and the calibration completed easily on the first try. Just to check I repeated the process four more times and it completed successfully every single time!

Thanks so much, I look forward to seeing how much the drift has improved tonight.