cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rendering with Gamma colorspace much darker on Quest when using Oculus Integration

JoeriCG
Explorer

On the latest Unity LTS (2021.3.4), with a project using Gamma colorspace as set in playersettings, if you import the Oculus Integration (I used libOVR, not OpenXR, due to the need for hand tracking), drop a OVRCameraRig in the scene and make a build for the Quest 2, everything renders with a higher color saturation and contrast than it should.

This issue did not occur on Unity 2019 LTS.

This issue does not occur with Linear color space.

This issue is also resolved if I completely remove the Oculus Integration files from the project and make a Quest 2 build without it (still using XR Management + Oculus XR Plugin package of course).

7 REPLIES 7

chelseahardy076
Explorer

Hi JoeriCG,

Any luck figuring out what's going on here? A question for you- are you using the OpenGL renderer or Vulkan for these builds?

JoeriCG
Explorer

This was using the Vulkan renderer. I haven't look at it much further since the bug simply prevented us from committing to the Unity upgrade from 2019 to 2021. But everything points to it being an issue with Unity 2021 + Gamma Color Space + latest Oculus Integration.

Hm good to know. Thanks for the information. We're got team members working on the update to Unity 2021 because we were hoping Vulkan would fix our gamma color space issues. (only linear is supported in opengl and openXR, and Vulkan doesn't work in 2020). 

I imagine when you're using Unity 2019 LTS, it's with the OpenGLES renderer instead of Vulkan, so maybe that's part of the puzzle. 

JoeriCG
Explorer

Our project was already on Vulkan on Unity 2019, it doesn't display the issue there. As stated it's specifically the combination of Unity 2021 + Gamma Color Space + latest Oculus Integration that caused it, change any one of these elements (previous Unity version, linear color space, or remove Oculus Integration plugin and only lean on Unity XR management) and the bug disappears.

ninjuArchero
Explorer

Has anyone managed to solve this issue? I've run into the same problem when trying to update a project using gamma color space from LTS 2019 to LTS 2021.

Just to clarify exact version for reproducing:
-Oculus Integration v46
-Unity 2021.3.15f1
Gamma color space, Vulkan API, livOVR

I have the same problem now, hope there is some sort of solution. But if I have to remove the OVR Integration files and just use XR for input that might be the way to go. We do lose control over other aspects of the OVRManager etc...

sh0v0r
Protege

OK, Can confirm that removing the Oculus Integration, fixes this problem. 

Unity 2021.3.18

Integration 49

Vulkan