cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elite Dangerous

bigmike20vt
Visionary
holy hell guys.......... I sm going to sound like a screaming fanboy now but....

I got ED working. No idea why, it just worked when this morning it didnt. it must have been me rushing. but cripes.

This is THE best gaming WOW moment I have ever experienced.

You know that notion of building up a tolerence in the rift... that went right out of the window just with pushing 2 hrs solid in there.

everything is so BIG you just do not get a sense of scale on a monitor (and that is coming from someone who games on a 70 inch)

If I was going to be objective (tough i know!) the resolution is still not ideal, with not all text being usable. This should be fixed for CV1 however. Also the FOV is not an issue in this game because you would wear a helmet anyway right?

I love the rift, and this game is certainly going to be one of the all time greats in it. Any one who owns a rift has to get ED.... should everyone with ED buy a rift? I dunno, maybe not, but they should certainly have a go on a friends and then make their own mind up.

PS I have an ok spec PC, with a heavily overclocked GTX 670 but I run ED on low settings. I will wait till my next gpu before i ramp that up.

oh and if you put your stick roughly where your avatar has his, the tracking on it is perfect so much so i was grinning just waggling my stick!. It was so convincing after a while, so much so when i dropped something off my desk for a couple of seconds i was looking on my cockpit floor for it!!!.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂
772 REPLIES 772

Nosher
Protege
"kludermor" wrote:
I did not see a better text quality in the menus as the poster above me. To bad. They are hard to read and flickering.

The menus are much crisper, less 'flickering effect' especially in the menus outside of 'in-cockpit' menus.

The left 'in-cockpit menu' was always difficult to read and now all very clear.

Hope you get your issues sorted.

Nosh

VRoom
Honored Guest
Ok, I just got Elite Dangerous (finally!) and I'm wondering if I still need to do all the steps for Beta 3 that were needed for Beta 2 (blocking ovservice, Rift in extended mode, etc.)?
Thanks for the help!

acarrilho
Explorer
"VRoom" wrote:
Ok, I just got Elite Dangerous (finally!) and I'm wondering if I still need to do all the steps for Beta 3 that were needed for Beta 2 (blocking ovservice, Rift in extended mode, etc.)?
Thanks for the help!

Beta 3 has native DK2 support (which I think Beta 2 already had). Needs to be in extended, though. Make sure you have the correct monitor selected in the graphics menu, and you're good to go.
G3258 @4.4MHz GTX970 8GB RAM Windows 7 64

puckinnet
Honored Guest
My problem with getting the Rift to run with Elite Dangerous is that the 'secondary' option for the monitor never shows up. 'Primary' is the only option.

Tuscany demo works fine.

System is a GT70 with graphics defaulting to nVidia ( rather than intel ).
Rift is in extended mode.
In the nVidia control panel set the Rift to max resolution/frame rate and rotated it.

Any ideas?

Kryghton
Honored Guest
Dang it! You're really making me want to invest in the DK2 so I can try this game out with it. :shock:

acarrilho
Explorer
"Kryghton" wrote:
Dang it! You're really making me want to invest in the DK2 so I can try this game out with it. :shock:

I advise caution, as it's not something you can come back from...
G3258 @4.4MHz GTX970 8GB RAM Windows 7 64

Zmann966
Explorer
My DK2 should be here tomorrow...

Just in time for Gamma. 😄

Seriously excited to get in my Sidewinder with the Rift, and fly my way back up to a Clipper.
From what I've heard ED is, hands-down, the best Rift experience so far.

I also heard from an ED-Rift Youtuber that with DK2's location-sensing you can actually "get up" and tour your cockpit by moving about your room. Sure the player-model still sits in the pilot's seat, but your perspective can "walk" all over the ship.
Sounds cool for a Sidewinder and maybe Cobra, but the Lakons and Anaconda seem like it'd be quite a journey!

sotti
Protege
looks like they just posted beta 3.9 that updated to the 0.4.3 SDK.

Testing when I get home.

JustinL
Honored Guest
Mine still gives me a lot of judder with head movement (3.9). It's rock solid with in game movements, no judder or smearing is perceptible. Slow head movement is good too, but normal speed head movement still starts pulling images into shaky distortions. It's so close and so tantalizing after demos like Titans of Space that are rock solid.

David6479
Honored Guest
Just tested the 3.9 version and below is what I found.

- I cant's seem to get Direct HMD Access to Apps to work at 75Hz, it always shows 59Hz in the game menu regardless how I set up my Rift and monitor. I also had to disable SLI to get rid of the head juddering, never had to do that with this game before.
- Running in Extended mode lets me keep SLI activated and also run at 75Hz, was just hoping direct would be working now when I seen the games changelog.

Using 344.75 drivers.

Just seen update 3.91 is out now.
i7 4770k @ 4.6GHz Custom W/Loop --- EVGA GTX 780ti SLI x3 --- Asus Maximus VI Extreme-Z87 --- Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866MHz 16GB --- EVGA SuperNova 1300 PSU --- Asus Swift G-Sync --- Windows 10 Pro Insider Build 11082