cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I waited too long to play Edge of Nowhere... It's Awesome

pyroth309
Visionary
So I am kicking myself right now. I am extremely late to the party on Edge of Nowhere and I'm trying to pick my jaw up off of the floor. When I first got my CV1, (Early 2017) two of the first games that I bought was Edge of Nowhere and Chronos because I saw them on several "Must Own" lists. I never watched a trailer for either of them and grabbed them off the store. I jumped in Chronos first and enjoyed it but I didn't really connect with the 3rd person view. I also hated having to use an Xbox controller when I had Touch games to play so I never made it to Edge of Nowhere.

Hellblade: Sensua's Sacrifice opened my mind to third person in VR. After playing that, it really made me realize that 3rd person can work in VR and can work really well. Perhaps it was better that I didn't get to Edge until now because of that. 

Well today, I decided that while I have my CV1 hooked up again to go through the games that I have never played. I wasn't ready for what I was about to play. I am a big Lovecraft fan and I am so upset right now that it has taken me this long to realize that Edge of Nowhere is a Lovecraftian VR experience (with a side of Dead Space) and is clearly inspired by At the Mountains of Madness.

The environments and the atmosphere is so good. The desperation and the despair really came through and the Voice acting was great for a VR game. Gameplay is probably the weak point of this title. The Tomb Raider like wall climbing got repetitive after awhile and the enemies weren't very tough to beat. Despite that, I give the game a 10/10 just for the ending. I had the biggest smile when I looked out of the right window of the plane.....I knew what was coming as soon as I saw that. (I had suspicions long before that though)

Can't say enough about the environment in this game. The plants in Chile looked so damn realistic and despite the game having a lot of snow and bright areas, SDE really didn't bother me like in other titles. 

If you're like me and haven't played this game, do yourself a favor and pick it up if you like Lovecraft even a little. While it isn't as in depth as flat screen Lovecraft games, for me at least, the experience of it in VR added a lot. They've since added Touch support since I originally bought it, but it's just using it like a gamepad and no motion controls. 

32 REPLIES 32

Wildt
Consultant
Yeah, EON is one of those gamepad titles I gotta replay on whatever highres HMD I get next 🙂

How come you didn't play it on your O+?
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

pyroth309
Visionary

Wildt said:

Yeah, EON is one of those gamepad titles I gotta replay on whatever highres HMD I get next 🙂

How come you didn't play it on your O+?

I saw it listed as one that has problems with Re-Vive which is why I decided to jump on it. 

https://github.com/LibreVR/Revive/wiki/Compatibility-list

Has a flickering problem on some objects, see issue #138.

Wildt
Consultant
Gotcha

pyroth309
Visionary

Wildt said:

Gotcha

The only other notable game that listed issues was Lone Echo and it says it's unplayable for Re-vive. That's one I'll have to test myself with Index because it worked fine on my Odyssey+ using Re-Vive. I heard it was a motion smoothing issue though and WMR doesn't use it so not sure the current status. 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Edge of Nowhere is awesome, I think I miss to do the last 5%, but some big monsters like to kill me :blush: Edge of Nowhere was the game where I found out that the difference between ss 1.0 and 2.0 is the ability to clearly read the text in documents, lol. Edge of Nowhere is probably the closest thing to real Tomb Raider VR.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

pyroth309
Visionary

RuneSR2 said:

Edge of Nowhere is awesome, I think I miss to do the last 5%, but some big monsters like to kill me :blush: Edge of Nowhere was the game where I found out that the difference between ss 1.0 and 2.0 is the ability to clearly read the text in documents, lol. Edge of Nowhere is probably the closest thing to real Tomb Raider VR.

You should finish it, seriously.

I added some photos to the review. 

The game looked great in my CV1. I ran it at 1.8 and it was very smooth and looked very good. One thing I do appreciate about the CV1 is the larger sweetspot over the O+ and the ability to look around everywhere with your eyes and see clearly. In a game like this, that's very much appreciated. Also the sound is so much better than the tinny O+ sound setup. I seriously cannot wait for the Index speakers. 

Wildt
Consultant
EON was back in the day when I hadn't grown half numb to VR jumpscares.
And I remember the part where you just know something creepy is gonna happen when erhm.. what's her name? ..and I just nope'd out and looked away, only to conclude that the mean devs had put a gaze trigger on that event, and you bloody HAD to look in her direction! Evil bastards :smiley:

pyroth309
Visionary

Wildt said:

EON was back in the day when I hadn't grown half numb to VR jumpscares.
And I remember the part where you just know something creepy is gonna happen when erhm.. what's her name? ..and I just nope'd out and looked away, only to conclude that the mean devs had put a gaze trigger on that event, and you bloody HAD to look in her direction! Evil bastards :smiley:

Ava is her name. There were a few parts that gave me the chills and it was like a combination effect. Chills from being frightened and chills from how awesome it was lol. If you're referring to the end... I didn't want to look at her either as I was too busy looking at the Great One lol. I'm still trying to figure out if that was mf'n Cthulhu or not. I get that the game is an inspiration and wasn't straight lore from At the Mountains of Madness but kinda would be a stretch to get him to the Antarctic when he's at the bottom of the Ocean. Either way it was awesome lol. 

Also there was a really bad ass part that gave me the chills before the ending. I was in a room fighting the humanoid enemy dudes and I look off into some blackness to the left...and Cthulhu like red eyes lit up and looked at me... that shit made my hair stand up. 

The game was a mindfuck for me too because it had a fight club type vibe to it for me. It made me question what was real or not and I think Victor is actually the bad guy being manipulated by the great one the whole time. I think the creatures and the mountain wasn't a city but a prison and they were keeping The Great One prisoner. The "poison" they were injecting was actually sedating him. I think Ava actually died in Chile and I think Victor killed her with that shot while trying to save her from the animal and Cthulhu used her memory to manipulate him. The reason I think that is because there was a guy you ask where's Ava, and he's like Who's Ava. I was suspicious from then on. Either way, game was too awesome and I can't sleep now. Thanks Insomniac Games.

pyroth309
Visionary
Edited and added some stuff to the spoilers. Is there any other games in this vein out there?