cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Onward VR has come a long way!

Moon920
Protege

A couple nights ago some friends were talking about picking up Onward so I told them to let me try it first because back in December 2016 I experienced some game breaking issues.  I didn't understand how the game had overwhelmingly positive feedback. Well, two nights ago I fired it up an hour before I wanted to be in bed. I played for 4 hours.  All of the issues I was experiencing seem to have been resolved.  I'm definitely recommending it to my friends, especially the military types and Arma III fans.  I heard the guy that created this game is just one college drop out kid but as of February 2017 he hired some help.  The community is buzzing about a major patch this month, can't wait!

Here are some highlights from the past two nights of playing Onward  😄
WARNING: time index 17:21 is NSFW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6tb2rQ31dk

I also tried Pavlov VR on Oculus.  The game launches however there seem to be some major issues with Oculus yet.  Really hope they get that sorted out, the look and feel of that game were great.  It's a lot like Onward except faster pace and more quick game modes.  I think it's meant to be more Counter-Strike'ish where Onward is more like Arma III.
27 REPLIES 27

danknugz
Superstar

Pavlov blows, its a CoD clone in Vr and enemies are bullet sponges, I played it for 10 minutes and haven't touched it since

Really looking forward to the new Onward patch as it supposedly has a new map and hopefully stats.

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?

Expediter
Expert Protege
ONWARD is the best game for vive/ oculus and has the best motion system todate. I get zero motion sickness from that system and I get a little sick using systems like affected and paranormal activity. 

All games should have that movment system in as an option along with teleport ( if the game can handle teleport). I recommend people who get motion sick just try this game. Take it slow at first and move with your gun up looking through scope. Over time I bet you no notion sickness or every little. The key seems to be move in the direction the body is facing. 

falken76
Expert Consultant
How many players can be on a map at once in this game?  I have it but haven't played it in months because it made me feel like I had vertigo if I turned my head left or right while walking.  I would love to see a game like this with the map population of Planetside or Planetside 2 at their peaks.  But then that's MMOFPS territory and would most likely need a subscription base which I would be willing to pay for (Provided I don't get sick playing free locomotion) if it is even remotely like those Sony games as far as players on a single map go.  (They could have battlefields with aprox 300+ per faction and that game had 3 factions)  I never saw that many, but I had seen battles with 400+ total players and those were intense games that provided hours of fun.

DarkTenka
Trustee
Does this game have a native Oculus mode yet? or does it still force you to use SteamVR?

Moon920
Protege
A few FPS VR games gave me nasty sick feeling but this one doesn't for some reason, I think it's because the scale and environment when turning is done a little better.  In the first 10-15 minutes I felt a little woosy and stumbled when I was running then stopped suddenly but that cleared up pretty quick and I was good for 4-hours.

I've had two extremely bad VR sick moments so far.  Ripcoil made me feel like I wanted to puke out of the top of my spine almost instantly and Minecraft VR in 1st person while turning with a controller (without the ratchet option enabled) gave me a horrible neck/head ache.  The rest of the games I've tried have been pretty good.  My friend said he tried Arizona Sunrise with the thumbstick (instead of teleporting around) and it was pretty bad I guess.

Onward is only 4v4 currently which is what gives it the Counter-Strike feel for me.  The player boxes in the game lobby look like they could accommodate ~10 names per team so maybe they eventually want to support more players?  I'd love to see some larger battles but the maps would have to be bigger.  All the maps feel about right for 4v4.  I'm sure we'll be seeing some updates pretty soon with his new team.

Moon920
Protege

danknugz said:

Pavlov blows, its a CoD clone in Vr and enemies are bullet sponges, I played it for 10 minutes and haven't touched it since

Did you successfully play Pavlov with Oculus?  I experienced some serious issues.  Biggest issue for me is the screen would go black and never come back.  I'd look at my monitor and I could see the game but in my headset it was black with a little white hourglass.  When I'd try to exit the game, it wouldn't exit so I'd have to force-close the application.  Happened almost immediately in everything I did.  When I finally got into a game I kept spawning in the same spot as an enemy so we were just dropping grenades on each other's feet until eventually my screen went black again.  So frustrating, I want to try it.

danknugz
Superstar
it worked fine for me but theres only one map and its kind of cramped, so when youre running around theres not a lot of "stable", large objects like buildings and cars to soften the motion sickness and stablize your view. it just made me want to go back to onward, imo youre not missing much. i might try and refund it
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I would have had to ditch the hoodie before playing this game. I keep meaning to pick the game up but is there a tutorial before you start playing? I hate games that just throw you in at the deep end with other players and you're left asking how to do this that and the other.

danknugz
Superstar

just make sure you go into the shooting range first and familiarize yourself with reloading and the general mechanics

theres a good amount of people who are pretty good, but theres also just the same amount of people who have no clue what they're doing, so it's not that bad for noobs

if you want, add me on steam (danknugz)

steamcommunity.com/id/danknugz