cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sniper Elite VR has launched in the Oculus Store and on Steam - reviews and impressions

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Today's brand-new launch trialer, but age-restricted:

Get the game here:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1501313913294054/?ranking_trace=1943584525923090_15013139132...

https://store.steampowered.com/app/752480/Sniper_Elite_VR/

The Quest version is only 3GB, while the PCVR version is about 5 times bigger - at 14GB. So clearly the Quest version has been cut down massively. 

System requirements for the full VR version:

MINIMUM:

• Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
  • Processor: Intel i5-4590/AMD Ryzen 5 1500X or greater
  • Memory: 8 GB RAM
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 1060/AMD Radeon RX 480 or greater
  • Storage: 14 GB available space

RECOMMENDED:

• Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
  • Processor: Intel i7 8700k / AMD Ryzen 7 1800X
  • Memory: 16 GB RAM
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 1070 / AMD Radeon Vega 56

RoadToVR rated the Quest version 50%, while Upload rated the PCVR version 80%:

https://www.vrfocus.com/2021/07/review-sniper-elite-vr/

Steam reviews are mixed at the moment, but you can try the game in both the Oculus Store and on Steam for up to 2 hours and refund if you don't like it. I've bought the game but won't have time to test it before the kids are sleeping later tonight, sigh. Some shots:

Sniper-Elite-VR-screenshot.jpg

Sniper_Elite_VR_newimage4-1024x576.jpg

Sniper_Elite_VR_newimage2-1024x576.jpg

Sniper_Elite_VR_newimage1-1024x576.jpg

ss_d3b636c48101d8012331c71eee00260b68b67c97.1920x1080.jpg

ss_28d3980a0d6ae0b5a3e205d6e924e5a3c3fc690c.1920x1080.jpg

ss_3d43d5088c1ae9d9b0a45af9f4742e90ee45affc.1920x1080.jpg

ss_65136a79af30cd9ca8f4fd26112b62f71c22af7d.1920x1080.jpg

ss_00640765c895b7bfcc4cdb6e5a7a19245ed378b6.1920x1080.jpg

ss_c876c7939d8e8ae8ba7b8d41aa2ed45f84e8f189.1920x1080.jpg

          

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

36 REPLIES 36

@Nekto2 wrote:

Agree. But I think it is too much of generalization.

Some people will enjoy, some will not and "best gaming" is depending on tastes.

I see your point, but I am not sure how this is a generalization:

we don't need high-end machines with high-end graphics cards in order to enjoy "the best gaming experiences.

What is general about that, exactly? To me it is a very binary situation; like this:

Do graphics solely dictate the gaming experience? Yes or No?

That is not a generalization. It speaks to something very specific: The gaming experience.

Experience in anything in life, including gaming, involves more than just what you see. It involves:

• What you see
  • What you do
  • How you do it
  • The outcome of what you see and do
  • Penalties and Rewards
  • Progression

These things can be specifically observed and measured. There are lines of code around each of their functions. That is the polar opposite of "generalization."

In contrast, your response seems quite general since you keep saying that it, "depends on tastes." We can't just blame "tastes" on everything.

Personal taste is vague, constantly changing, and more qualitative than quantitative. "Personal taste" is the epitome of over generalization.

There are games that end up receiving high acclaim and multiple awards on top of rave reviews. In contrast, there are games that end up getting bad reviews and lots of refunds. This type of observable behavior cannot be explained away by something as general and vague as "taste." There are measurable factors for what makes a good experience vs a bad experience.

@Nekto2 wrote:

So I do not think that ability to enjoy games with low graphics detail should mean that you should persuade yourself not to buy better graphics cards

I agree; however, it is the market itself that dictates the GPU upgrade persuasion. Currently, I do not see a market of games that have amazing experiences (more than what you "see") that demand a high-end GPU. Which means that I am capable of getting full enjoyment from games like:

• Doom Eternal
  • The Metro series
  • Xcom series
  • The Witcher series
  • Every Roguelite game
  • Every Metroidvania game
  • Every RTS and CRPG

I am able to play every single award winning title over the last 10+ years on my current machines without needing to wait in line for the latest n greatest GPU.

In fact, the only thing on the market that is truly causing a high demand for better GPUs is something that has nothing to do with gaming at all:

• Machine Learning / A.I.
  • Mining bitcoin

Lastly, I asked you to list some of your favorite 2D Games and favorite VR Games. Your answer was, "That would be too long list to write."

Surely you can type up at least 5 random examples? I mean, your responses to this discussion are quite long, so obviously you are comfortable typing a lot! lol

How about this:

What are 5 of your favorite 2D pancake games in the last 2 years?

What are 5 of your favorite VR games in the last 2 years?

@Nekto2 wrote:

What about your tastes in games? 🙂

My personal taste in games is constantly evolving, as it depends on what gaming software is released that provides a high-end gaming experience.

For example, I avoided anything "rogue" for many years. Probably the only "rogue" type game (where the moment you die, you have to start over) was Mario Bros. as a kid! Because when you die, you have to start over from the beginning of the level.

This whole roguelike/roguelite genre eluded me throughout its rise to glory. But then the Steam Summer sale happened last year, and I saw Hades getting high acclaim from both User Reviews and Award agencies. So I tried it. Next thing you know... I am addicted to a rogue game.

Granted, when I have tried other rogue games (like Dead Cells), I end up feeling that same dislike for the genre. But there is something about Hades that overshadows the things I dislike about rogue games and replaces it with feelings of joy and entertainment.

Because "personal taste" has nothing to do with these types of situations. The magic of software is that it has the ability to create something that can captivate a user, regardless of their personal tastes. 

Hades didn't cause me to suddenly develop a taste that is favorable for the rogue genre. Nope. Hades just made me enjoy Hades.

As another example: I have a great distaste for anything that involves high places; as I have a phobia of heights. Yet I love flying in airplanes, roller coasters, and VR experiences that involve extreme heights.

Because the beauty of a compelling experiences resides in its ability to transcend our own personal tastes. And when it comes to gaming... graphics play a miniscule role in accomplishing this unique milestone.

😁

I think I should clarify a little, I like VR much more than gaming.

> Do graphics solely dictate the gaming experience? Yes or No?

Of course No! 🙂 Not "solely".

But there are some apps where it is. But I think we can't call them "games". It's more like "experiences" or "interactive movie" etc. It could be VR copy of a museum or historical place. It could be music clip with VR (ok, there are graphics + audio, not solely graphics). It could be 3D models of real place based on photogrammetry (not only 360 photos). Or even work of art in VR.

Even games contain 3D virtual art! You could enjoy those arts even without game mechanics (there even "home scenes" in Steam VR which are copies of some game scenes and people like them as a static scene without game). VR social chats has "room" which also could be work of art.

To enjoy those works of arts one need to learn first how to enjoy them. Same way as you learn "how to watch a movie". Most do not think there are anything to learn, but only after you study some art classes you know what to look at to start enjoying art more. To see details you have not seen before. That "art" is "language" in itself and has it's own "story". 🙂

So.... I could enjoy "games" which are 90% graphics ("what you see") and 10% other things you have listed:

• What you see
  • What you do
  • How you do it
  • The outcome of what you see and do
  • Penalties and Rewards
  • Progression

Or 45% graphics, 45% audio (3D ambient+music) and 10% for all other things.

More to that, it could be that game has complex mechanic and only 30% of it is graphics, but for me the "new and unusual part" of that game is graphics and not the mechanic itself. So I pay 90% attention in that game to enjoy graphics then game mechanic. Or 40/40 to graphics and story.

That means I play those games not for their mechanics. So I want to get as much from graphics details as I could (that could be low end hardware if I could not get more hi level, It depends....).

If developers have add hi level textures to the game I would like to see those and not switch to low details in settings.

Even there are videos in the internet with recording of all story parts of a games. That also has their auditory. You have a video with detail graphics, audio and story, but no game mechanics for those who watch that video. You could see people count on those videos. 🙂

Are you "playing"/enjoying those type of "games"/experiences with almost no gaming mechanics?

For example have you seen "chess VR"? It have nice scenery to play chess in. Ok, you could have chess game mechanics on mobile/web/pc platform. But in VR they have add nice scenery/graphics.  And you have choice to play same game mechanics on mobile or in VR. Selection will solely depends on "nice graphics" in VR (you need to pay for it, but there are lots of free 2d chess game apps/web sites). We could split those in the future even. So you could have "chess object" in Metaverse and bring it with you to play in any VR place you like (to enjoy graphics of that place). Even into Lone Echo 🙂

> I am not sure how this is a generalization:

> we don't need high-end machines with high-end graphics cards in order to enjoy "the best gaming experiences.

I'll try to tell in more detail.

For me those parts are generalization: "best gaming", "high-end", "we".

As for "we" that is not all people, but only "most" or "part of those who like to play some type of games". There are simmers which like to "have enough details to see device numbers and arrows".

As for "best gaming" it depends on tastes, I think. It could be different to different people and cultures of different countries.

As for "high-end" it also changing with time. I would call it "best you could afford". That means you can't buy a super-computer for your gaming. Those are "high-end" and not only "consumer top devices".

But that is only my opinion 🙂

How about this:

I think .... none 🙂

I think it would not be correct to name those.

> Surely you can type up at least 5 random examples? I mean, your responses to this discussion are quite long, so obviously you are comfortable typing a lot! lol

😄

That is not a mater of typing. I think naming any title will be misleading. It could be that I have enjoy only a  part of game and you would think I have enjoy other part of it. If I like something for their graphics but you could think I have liked their play mechanics.

Or it could be "nice item in game settings", or "part of story", or some new UI/device interpretation.

For example I like idea of "put your hand controllers on your legs while sitting on a chair to record you legs movement" in some fitness "game". But that does not mean I like all of that "game" as a whole.

Or it could be I like other idea of switching between 1st person VR view to 3rd person so you could use your hands for manipulating your avatar pose  like a puppet. So you could see your avatar from all sides and correct pose to the best for you (hands, legs, body, ....).  And then switch back to 1st view.

Idea of disconnecting your virtual avatar hands and real hand if you need them for other UI actions.

Anonymous
Not applicable

So no one else is playing Sniper Elite.

Ok got it...

@Nekto2 wrote:

How about this:

I think .... none 🙂

I think it would not be correct to name those.

Without knowing any of the games you consider to be your own favorite, then there is no baseline for the discussion. Instead, it seems more an exercise in semantics. Analyzing terms like ""best gaming", "high-end" and "we" without establishing a baseline doesn't achieve much other than just simply saying the "opposite" of each other.

I enjoy these types of exchanges, especially when they remain constructive and respectful. Which we have done well, so cheers for that!

However, until you are willing to commit to providing some examples of some of your favorite standard and VR games, the the conversation is stuck in a repetitive semantics discussion. I don't agree that my original statement is general at all. If you take the words out of the sentence ("best gaming", "high-end", "we") then that doesn't prove that the sentence itself is general.

For example, sure I can agree that "we" is a general word, but my sentence didn't simply contain the single word of "we." By that logic, no is no single statement that could ever count as being "specific" because every statement will contain at least one single general word; such as "a" or "the" or "of" lol

To stress the point, I would challenge you to type a sentence that you believe is free from any generalization. What is the most specific statement you can provide? 😊

For now, I stand by my statement:

we don't need high-end machines with high-end graphics cards in order to enjoy "the best gaming experiences."

I believe this to be accurate and non-general. The evidence of its accuracy is the history of gaming itself, and the classic low graphic detail games of the past. From Oregon Trail to Pac Man to Blasphemous and Pixel Ripped.

And for the most part, you do seem to agree. I also strongly suspect that if you were to list your favorite games over the last 2 years, that it would in fact entail a list of games where GPU demands were low and graphic detail played little to no role in the experience. Perhaps this is the real reason you refuse to provide a single example of a game you consider your favorite? 🙃

Also, Chess is not an example of a game that is 90% of what you "see" and only 10% of everything else. Quite the opposite. Chess is 99% strategy (of the brain/mind) and 1% of the visual chess board/pieces.

So while you say that it is possible someone can enjoy a game that is only 90% of what you "see" the fact remains that you have yet to provide a single example. What title is truly enjoyable where it is only 90% visuals and 10% of everything else that defines a gaming experience?

I would say that there is none that are enjoyable that fall in to that category. I am happy to be proven wrong, but you will need to provide a real example. 😀

> I would say that there is none that are enjoyable that fall in to that category. I am happy to be proven wrong, but you will need to provide a real example.

I'm not trying to prove  you are wrong 🙂

I'm describing other points of view which are not "for" or "against" your point of view.

As an example to simplify my talk, you want me to select "blue" or "yellow", but I'm talking of "green" instead.

You are asking for precise definite "prove" but in my opinion lot's of things like "enjoyment" or "best" are based on taste of different people and things those persons like/have/know/their culture/etc.

So all I am taking about is my own opinion, nothing more. And I am not trying to change your opinion (it's up to you I think). 

All I am trying to do is to show that instead of "2 dimensions" there is another "3d dimension" which is not "for" or "against" those "2 dimensions" 🙂

If it's ok we could continue. If not, we could stop discussion. I think I have written all already I have to tell on my own opinion regarding detailed graphics and my enjoyment from games.

I like our discussion. I agree It was constructive and respectful.

@Nekto2 wrote:

I'm describing other points of view which are not "for" or "against" your point of view.

I am certainly interested in exploring these other points of view. However, unless we have something tangible and quantitative to serve as a baseline and example, then it is all just "theoretical." The exercise becomes more about semantics and theorycrafting, as opposed to real-world applicable observation.

So until you are willing to provide some real examples, it's all just theorycrafting. Which is fun! But my point of view is based on actual games that have been released over the years, and their impact on both consumer and industry.