Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Syder Arcade - space walk

XeviaN
Honored Guest
Hi All!
I'm XeviaN, cto of Syder Arcade (no rift support actually) This:

Sadly we cannot create an Oculus Rift enhanced version :cry: because much of the game logic is based on camera position and clipping on borders, so at least we decided to put much of the game assets around in some scenes, just to look at them with the Rift :mrgreen:

Here it is: http://www.syderarcade.com/oculus-rift-asset-showcase-demo/

Once in the menu you have three scenes: the good guys, the bad guys, and the war.
The first two are static but you can move around. In the last scene you cannot move, but you can look around at upcoming ships.
You can also listen to the full soundtrack (Commodore Amiga inspired :mrgreen:)

Notes:

-> please launch the app while staring in front of you. Actually the view is not auto centered.
    -> you should aim to have 60 fps while running the demo. It you have less, just lower the quality in the starting dialog (and 1280x800 resolution will be fine too)
    -> It's just a very simple static demo. Let me know any thoughts 😉
XeviaN STUDIO EVIL
7 REPLIES 7

AnotherAtreyu
Protege
It's an interesting idea but the concept feels so backwards to me that it just kind of ruins the experience imo.
What I mean is that I get into this asset demo and I can only think about how awesome it will be to play the game, but then I discover that to play the game I have to take off the Rift and 'de-evolve' my experience to a 2d screen; In my opinion the Rift is a horrible way to drum up excitement for a game that can not be played while in the Rift lol.

Perhaps you could be the first to try something akin to a 4D-2D gaming experience? Kind of like the 4Dtheatre, but in this case the game screen would appear to be on a large screen that was perhaps 4 - 6 feet away from the player, and they would play it in traditional 2d but elements from the game could perhaps fly off the screen towards the player and there could be ambient environmental effects (lightning, fog, rain, etc.) synced to the gameplay that surrounded the player and increased immersion?

Just a thought! 🙂
“If you are willing to look at another person’s behavior toward you as a reflection of the state of their relationship with themselves rather than a statement about your value as a person, then you will, over a period of time cease to react at all.” (~I really gotta remember this shiz~) ― Yogi Bhajan

XeviaN
Honored Guest
Hi HappyHimitsu, thanks for your feedback.
You convinced me, i'll try something different to make Syder Arcade Rift enhanced :twisted:
I'll be back.
XeviaN STUDIO EVIL

frantic
Protege
This demo kicks totally ass! Everyone must try it :!:

I just finished with a disappointing session trying out Skyrim in the Rift. That thing was so Fugly and slow in the Rift I got depressed about the whole VR thing.

So I had to restore my faith in VR and put this demo on again 😉 Activated the Good Guys scene, full headphone volume, positioned myself on top of the bridge of the main ship, stood up from my chair and held my arms straight to the sides.. Whooaaa, goosebumps! Felt like I was inside a sci fi universe, traveling along on some kind of exploration mission. Now that was VR immersion! :mrgreen:

Also everything looks really good in this demo. Really crisp textures, great detailed backgrounds, awesome effects from the engines(especially the small crafts on the deck), flawless Rift movement, less noticeable screen door, etc., So far the best experience with the Rift.

jasonatokc
Honored Guest
Nice!!!

Ganjaroach
Explorer

very cool demo! Do you plan on adding rift support for the game it self?

AmebousPeter
Honored Guest
At first I was a little confused, but it ended up being a lot of fun watching the battle!

It reminded me of all those scifi shows where they show you the universe, I really felt immersed.

dopingVR
Expert Protege
WOW! Now apart from the fact that it's pretty much only the assets, this is totally badass! The visuals are absolutly beautiful and I really like the soundtrack! The video from the game looks like fun, but seeing the setting in the Rift is just a different level. I just spent half an hour just looking at things and listening to the soundtrack and I will do it again on a better computer to get more than 30 fps on highest settings in the war setting... Really cool!