cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The White Room

Krisper
Level 2
This is a video of my White Room project in Unity 3d with the Razer Hydra. It is far from complete, and the video isn't the best but my Unity Pro license may expire tomorrow so I thought I'd put something together to show. Sorry, the PIP is probably a bit out of sync with the rest, I rushed it.

I got the idea for the White Room from the Matrix movie White Room scene. This is where they equip themselves before entering the Matrix. But instead of having racks of guns etc I decided to make a machine that displays and dispenses whatever you need. I haven't made much to go into it, but when it's finished I want you to be able to choose your Avatar, vehicles, weapons, tools, game types, and scenes. At the moment I have one vehicle and 2 borrowed scenes, Tuscany and Destroyed City.

I wanted to make all objects in the game physical objects, no GUI to choose inventory from. So I have made a belt that your character wears where you clip your objects to carry them around. As a way to carry large objects I took the idea from Tron of having batons that can be rezzed into full size objects. I would love to copy the Tron rezzing from wireframe to textured object, but I wouldn't know where to start with that so I have made my vehicle collapse and shrink into the baton.

Once you have all the equipment you want you grab a scene baton with one hand and touch it with the other hand to enter the scene. In each scene there is a copy of the White Room which fades away once the scene loads. It makes a reasonably seamless transition but unfortunately you need to initialise the Razer Hydra each time. I tried making it persistent over scenes but it kept crashing the editor.

My first vehicle is a Jet pack modeled on the Bell Rocket Belt. Once you have expanded it you click a bumper to wear it (I need to make a more realistic way to put it on), move your hands close to where they would be on the jet pack and squeeze both triggers to grab the handles. Then you squeeze the right trigger for the throttle and move the handles around to fly. It takes a bit of practice but it's not too difficult and feels quite natural.

The video shows me a grabbing the Jet pack baton, clipping it to my belt, and then grabbing the Tuscany baton and going to Tuscany. There I expand the jet pack and fly around a bit. I can fly with more control than I did in the video, landing on the paved area is not difficult, but if I took too much time CamStudio would crash so I was rushing it. Flying around Tuscany is a lot of fun, I especially love flying from down near water level and coming up over the tallest hills, you get a big rush of vertigo as you go over the top.

Anyway, it's far from finished and I doubt I ever will have enough time to get this to something complete, but I thought others may like some of my ideas.

3 REPLIES 3

drash
Level 7
Thanks for sharing this. I'm sorry to hear about your impending Unity license expiration, because you obviously made great use of your time with it and made a nice gameplay framework with some potential.

Definitely a lot of great ideas in this, and I want to congratulate you on finally landing that jetpack thing. 😄 It really is something I thought I'd see more of -- using Hydra controllers to control rigs like that.
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com

mouja
Level 3
You're really teasing us with this jetpack simulation. it looks quite immersive.

Krisper
Level 2
"drash" wrote:
Thanks for sharing this. I'm sorry to hear about your impending Unity license expiration, because you obviously made great use of your time with it and made a nice gameplay framework with some potential.

Definitely a lot of great ideas in this, and I want to congratulate you on finally landing that jetpack thing. 😄 It really is something I thought I'd see more of -- using Hydra controllers to control rigs like that.

I will have to buy a license, just can't afford it at the moment. Flying the jet pack using the hydras felt right, I also wanted to try some mechanical wings where you flap your arms to fly. I think breaking away from traditional controllers and having position tracking on your hands makes the immersion even better.

"mouja" wrote:
You're really teasing us with this jetpack simulation. it looks quite immersive.

I have spent quite a few hours flying around with the jet pack. It is a lot of fun and very immersive, you really do feel like you are flying one. Controlling it with the hydras makes it feel as close to real as you can get without some feedback.

Maybe I'll do a multiplayer jet pack racing game, like a lot of us, I have too many ideas and not enough time.