cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

VR Space Tunnel - Infinite Runner

Clodo
Level 4
I'm done some game/experiment during my study on DK2 gameplay, this is one of them (about body movement and reflexes). Maded with Unity.




YouTube Preview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRkLD2Ogg-8

SDK 1.3: Windows (47 mb)

Old SDK 0.8 builds: Windows , OS X , Linux


The game need an initial calibration, to detect the maximum and minimum position a player can move it's head.
Press X to reset the calibration. Press R to reset Oculus Rift orientation.
Press SPACE to start (and restart at game-over).

Can be played seated, but i recommend to play it stand up, with hands on desk.

Works at 75fps with my GTX 570 on an old i7. Press F11 to see the FPS, and 0,1,2,3,4,5 to change graphics quality (0 fast, 5 is best).


At game-over, press SPACE to reset and look left to check if you beat your highscore.


Released under LGPL on GitHub:
https://github.com/Clodo76/VrSpaceTunnel

The repo contain parts of some third-party assets, but all of them are totally free in Unity Asset Store.

Music by Imphenzia: http://soundtrack.imphenzia.com/ - i used the watermarked version to allow me to release the entire project out-of-the-box under open-source.


No more improvement are planned, unless people like it πŸ˜›

My best score is 8170 meters πŸ˜› Enjoy!
10 REPLIES 10

FictionX
Level 2
I would actually very much like a Linux version, If you don't mind building it? I like the style of the game (from screenshots/video), and I'm curious to see what kind of performance it's possible to squeeze out of Unity with the current "experimental" Linux integration.

Clodo
Level 4
"FictionX" wrote:
I would actually very much like a Linux version, If you don't mind building it? I like the style of the game (from screenshots/video), and I'm curious to see what kind of performance it's possible to squeeze out of Unity with the current "experimental" Linux integration.

Added. Please report if works or not, thanks.

FictionX
Level 2
Thanks a lot for the build. Unfortunately I just get a black screen in Linux 😞 Not sure why.

I tried the Windows version too, though, and thought it was awesome for such a simple concept. Everything looks very crisp and solid. Veeery stressful, though! πŸ™‚ I got to 3264 in my first try - but I'll definitely be back!

Thanks also for the source! I may tinker a bit with it to see if I can figure out what is causing the black screen in Linux (and by tinker I mean remove stuff until I get a result πŸ˜‰ )

I know you say that you probably won't be adding to the game, but IF you were to expand on it (it has a lot of potential), I think levels would be a great addition - maybe with various themes.
IMO, games with levels of increasing difficulty have more replay value than games where you know that you'll end up failing at some point. Having the goal of completing "just one more level" always makes me play longer.

Still.. very nice!! And I got a steady 75 fps all the way. Thanks for sharing!

Clodo
Level 4
"FictionX" wrote:
Thanks a lot for the build. Unfortunately I just get a black screen in Linux 😞 Not sure why.

I really don't know. I don't have a native linux to test it.

You have the blank screen also in the other project i release: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=19000 ?

"FictionX" wrote:

Everything looks very crisp and solid. Veeery stressful, though! πŸ™‚ I got to 3264 in my first try - but I'll definitely be back!

Thanks!

"FictionX" wrote:

I know you say that you probably won't be adding to the game, but IF you were to expand on it (it has a lot of potential), I think levels would be a great addition - maybe with various themes.
IMO, games with levels of increasing difficulty have more replay value than games where you know that you'll end up failing at some point. Having the goal of completing "just one more level" always makes me play longer.

Maybe in future. Or maybe someone want to do that, i release sources for that πŸ˜›

Still.. very nice!! And I got a steady 75 fps all the way. Thanks for sharing!

FictionX
Level 2
"Clodo" wrote:

You have the blank screen also in the other project i release: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=19000 ?


No I do get both video and music in that one - and it seems to work. Unfortunately it only runs at 40fps, though - and it flickers like crazy. I think it's the issue that's also discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=18072&p=233468&hilit=linux#p233468

Unfortunately it seems there isn't a solution for the flicker yet - only for the framerate problem. Apparently it's a general issue with the Unity integration for Linux (I got it when building Tuscany, too). However, Sightline: The Chair doesn't suffer from it... not sure what the developer ( Frooxius) did to avoid it, if anything. Maybe I should ask him.

Tried RiftFireworks in Windows, too, and got a steady 75fps once again. Another very nice demo!

Clodo
Level 4
"FictionX" wrote:

No I do get both video and music in that one - and it seems to work.

Very strange, both projects are builded in the same way.
Maybe i do something wrong.
I just rebuilded the linux edition of RiftRunner, please try to re-download.

"FictionX" wrote:

Unfortunately it only runs at 40fps, though - and it flickers like crazy. I think it's the issue that's also discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=18072&p=233468&hilit=linux#p233468

Unfortunately it seems there isn't a solution for the flicker yet - only for the framerate problem. Apparently it's a general issue with the Unity integration for Linux (I got it when building Tuscany, too). However, Sightline: The Chair doesn't suffer from it... not sure what the developer ( Frooxius) did to avoid it, if anything. Maybe I should ask him.

Try to use the key 0 to 5 to set the quality (0-fastest),
and remove the fireworks light (very expensive) with L key.

But if is a linux sdk problem, i don't know yet how to resolve it.

Tried RiftFireworks in Windows, too, and got a steady 75fps once again. Another very nice demo!

Thanks! If you found some songs that fits well with the fireworks effects, please tell! πŸ˜› But not here, in the other topic, please.

Clodo
Level 4
New version.

I submit this on Oculus Share, but they reject software with words 'Rift', 'Oculus' or 'DK2' in the name. So i renamed this from RiftRunner to VrSpaceTunnel. (ok, not much original, but hey it's only an experiment :P).

I do some little improvements (updated download and source code link in the first post):
- Compiled for 64 bit with Unity 5.0.18
- Added score during running at top
- Added Highscore placeholder in the tunnel
- Better sound calibration.

Clodo
Level 4
Updated to version 1.2
- Oculus SDK 0.8
- Build with Unity 5.3.1f1
- Released on GitHub under LGPL: https://github.com/Clodo76/VrSpaceTunnel
- 5 lives and other little improvements.

Clodo
Level 4
I try to submit it to the Oculus Store, here: https://developer2.oculus.com/
But i'm confused. It's required some 2560 x 1440/24-Bit PNG screenshot, but DK2 0.8 works only in Direct Mode with 1080p resolution. I already order a CV1, but i expect it in May.
Anyone here has submitted a Rift app on the new developer platform, builded with DK2? Thanks.

For clearness:
VrSpaceTunnel it's in the Top Rated first page from around one year.
I think it can be nice for people who enjoy it, if will be available on Oculus Store of CV1 at launch date.
But i don't own a CV1, i order it, but i'm trying to understand if i need to wait it for submission on Oculus Store.