[DEMO V2.0] Oculus Maximus

8bit
Protege
Oculus Maximus - The Ultimate Gladiator Experience

Demo version 2 is available
(Fight with 2 swords like Spartacus!)
http://www.raginggoat.com/download

Hello Jammers,
Here is a video and a link to the demo we submitted for the jam.
Special thanks to RCMPMARUDER for providing sounds and vocals.

Enjoy the game.

Screenshots

Gameplay Video

Downloadable Demo
*** Requires Razer Hydra ***
Runs at 60 FPS with i7 and GTX 660 Ti. Lesser systems may not be playable.

Demo version 2.0
http://www.raginggoat.com/download

Below is link to first demo submitted for VR jam
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18313052/OculusMaximusDemo.zip
145 REPLIES 145

Naitguolf
Honored Guest
Nice!!!

Will you make a non Razer Hydra requirement? Maybe binding the mouse buttons to an arm, so if pressed will follow the movement of it?

8bit
Protege
Right now we don't plan on releasing a demo with mouse or joystick control. This VR experience is really incomplete with the hydras or equivalent input. For the judges we submitted a mouse control version as required but the core of the game is designed around 1 to 1 hand input. Also be sure you have at least a GTX 660 Ti.

Leopardon
Explorer
I like this! Very cool, I really enjoyed banging my sword and shield together, the sun rays cutting over the stadium are outstanding, the sense of size in the Colosseum is top notch. Is there anyway to implement impalement or disembowelment? A bit morbid I know but this was the only thing that I can think off to make the fighting just that little bit more visceral. Oh and maybe a head butt attack for when you've lost your limbs haha.

Kudos guys, really well done!

8bit
Protege
"OculusAsh" wrote:
I like this! Very cool, I really enjoyed banging my sword and shield together, the sun rays cutting over the stadium are outstanding, the sense of size in the Colosseum is top notch. Is there anyway to implement impalement or disembowelment? A bit morbid I know but this was the only thing that I can think off to make the fighting just that little bit more visceral. Oh and maybe a head butt attack for when you've lost your limbs haha.

Kudos guys, really well done!

Morbid? Maybe a little but that is actually a feature (disembowelment) we planned on having 🙂 . We had to cut it due to time.
Glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for the feedback.

Naitguolf
Honored Guest
"8bit" wrote:
Right now we don't plan on releasing a demo with mouse or joystick control. This VR experience is really incomplete with the hydras or equivalent input. For the judges we submitted a mouse control version as required but the core of the game is designed around 1 to 1 hand input. Also be sure you have at least a GTX 660 Ti.

Ah... a pity. Does Wii control work as a replacement?

eelkin2000
Honored Guest
@OculusAsh

You can expect impalement, throwing of weapons, grabbing opponents, etc in future releases.

crossmaxxx
Honored Guest
Of course positional tracking of the body for evading as an alternative to blocking would be great here, too. We need Sixsense's STEM system now! 🙂

Leopardon
Explorer
"eelkin2000" wrote:
@OculusAsh

You can expect impalement, throwing of weapons, grabbing opponents, etc in future releases.

Excellent :twisted:

Glad you guys are continuing to work on this, don't forget the Fascina & Iaculum, Arcus & Sagitta, etc maybe even chariots and ballista eventually:?:

Awesome work 😄

Ananas
Explorer
This was just awesome.
First thing to do when I got to the arena was:

Sorry I had to.

But this was great. The shield and sword worked well together and the sounds were great. Regular punchers began to be little boring but then the swordmen fights started. They were much better. You really had to use your shield while slashing. I didn't make it to the end, got my both arms slashed by the last enemy. Felt like the Black Knight from Monty Python just jumping around the enemy until he killed me. 😄

There was some drifting with the Rift, found myself facing 50° to the right after the fight. Slashing enemies feet didn't quite work with Hydras; if you tried to hit their knees the hydra started glitching.
Also isn't there any other way to place the hydra base? I'd like to show this to my friends but I don't want to thrust the base to their crotch. Besides my chair is pretty short so I had to keep the base in place with my legs or it might've fallen off.

But overall a very nice and polished experience!